Prairie View

Monday, January 12, 2015

Gone Home

Tonight my mother traveled from earth to glory--a little before 8:15.  Her respirations had diminished throughout the day from 20 to 11 per minute, and then, with no apparent disturbance of any kind, she simply waited a very long time to breathe, took one or two more breaths, and they were the last ones.
At the hospice nurse's suggestion, some of the absent family members called in and we put the phone to Mom's ear while they gave Mom their final messages.  Each of us present took our turn alone in the room one final time with Mom.  She could not respond, and we don't know for sure what she heard, but I believe she knew she was loved and cared for.   She might have heard us sing one song after another--several dozen of us there in that large room.  I don't know if I'll be able to sing those hymns again without a memory of having sung them today.

About an hour before Mom died I had reached Joel by phone, and he had a chance to "talk" to his grandmother.  He was her first grandchild.  Grant and Clare came just a few minutes before 8:15.  Shane had spent several hours there during the afternoon and evening, but had left before she died.

With three high-school-age nephews in tow, I hurried away from school around 2:30 today after I got a call saying things were changing, and it was time to come.  I had planned to leave anyway about that time, having made arrangements to hand off my typing class for the day.

One of the griefs of this time is the fact that my brother Marcus cannot be present with us.  He is incarcerated.  He was very loyal toward Mom, and was quick to offer the gift of his presence when others were grieving.  I know Mom's passing must be very difficult for him.  We're praying that he finds comfort by opening his heart to the God of all Comfort.  We had a time of prayer for him together today.  We had hoped that he might be able to make a phone call to Mom, but it didn't happen.

I'm going to bed tonight with some sense of relief.  I feel other emotions as well, but this is the one I will give thanks for now.  The prayers of many who have remembered us to the Father are very much appreciated.

*******************

One day during the past week when Mom seemed restless, Lois asked her what she needed.  "I need to go home," Mom said.

When Lois told her that we had plans to bring her home on Wednesday of this week, she responded with a big smile.  As far as I know she never mentioned it again, but for that brief moment when she wanted that more than anything, I think she could almost feel it.  And now I know she feels the pleasure of being at home, and it's better than she imagined.  


3 Comments:

  • A beautiful homegoing. So glad your family could be there with her. We keep you in our thoughts and prayers. Jo

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1/13/2015  

  • Blessings of comfort and peace to you all.

    By Blogger Mary A. Miller, at 1/13/2015  

  • Praying for you all . . . . ~Jeanene

    By Blogger Unknown, at 1/13/2015  

Post a Comment



<< Home