Prairie View

Friday, January 09, 2015

Quote for the Day 1/9/2015

In today's typing class, during break--

First Student (voluntarily reading aloud from Life's Little Instruction Book:  511 Reminders for a Happy and Rewarding Life*):
 Never become part of a church if they have padded pews and are planning to build a gym.

Second Student:  Oh my word,  that's us.

Third Student:  Don't let Mrs. I see that.  We'll never get our gym.

Me:  As if I'm the one that gets to decide . . . 

******************

The book named here is published by Abercrombie & Fitch and has become a surprise hit among the ninth graders in typing class--probably because it provides multiple opportunities for lively arguments, ahem, discussions .  It's written from a decidedly non-religious perspective, but has the kind of common sense advice most fathers would be happy to see their sons follow.  It began, in fact, as the jottings of a father who presented it to his son when the son left home for college.  

My boys were vastly amused when I originally brought the book home from wherever I had spied it at a thrift store or garage sale.  They obviously knew a lot more about Abercrombie & Fitch than I did.  

Today the student reading aloud from the little book was bored with the Scrabble game and was seeking diversion.  I think more interesting snippets are in store.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



<< Home