Prairie View

Monday, December 15, 2014

That Niggling Thing

The church/community identity thing keeps niggling at my brain.  I'm increasingly aware that I'll never be able to nail it exactly--that is, write about it with any great certainty, but I know more than I did when I first put out an invitation for others to provide input.

Earlier I identified several different perspectives which might inform how we understand identity--our own, that of others, and the "real" one, the true one, God's perspective.

I realize also now that locating our point on a "change" spectrum is worth considering, as is identifying direction of movement.  What about our manner of transition?  Do we have a destination in mind?

At some point, we need to think about values in relation to identity.  Are we in a good place, moving in a good direction?  Maybe that's actually the place to start AND the place to finish.

My mind has gone often to Revelation where God identifies each of seven churches, and He says how He sees them.  That passage is sobering, revealing as it does that God has an opinion on things like this, and taking His analysis seriously is essential.

Considering this topic has uncovered some surprising emotion for me.  I thought I had a very positive view of our church and community.  I know I love being here.  Now I realize that if I am to be honest, I must also acknowledge having suffered some deep wounds in this place.  I see that this has been the experience of others as well.  While my dark times hark back to an era so long ago that thoughts of them don't often make it into conscious thought anymore, why have I maintained a high degree of optimism since then?  What if we are, at the core, less good than I think we are?  What would I do with an impression like that?  I see what others have done, and some of it scares me.

I'm pondering writings that are not precisely directed toward this topic of church/community identity, but are relevant nonetheless.  Here's one by Frank Reed that I recommend.  I've never met this man, but I've had some email correspondence with him in relation to the teaching of an Anabaptist History class.  He's been associated with either SMBI or FB, perhaps in an earlier era.  Dwight Gingerich has a few quibbles with some of the introductory remarks, and  maybe you will too, but overall it's a good read.



 


7 Comments:

  • Perhaps I should also affirm that, despite my "few quibbles," a lot of what Frank Reed wrote in this article really resonates with me. (I've discovered that sometimes my cautious affirmations and careful qualifications are misunderstood as general skepticism.) I strongly affirm, for example, Frank's vision of the need for humble godly leadership and intentional biblical training. Also, I know Frank has indeed been an instructor at SMBI, as well as a long-time teacher in an Anabaptist high school in PA. I've only met him briefly a few times, but I've enjoyed listening to the talks he has given at various Anabaptist Identity Conferences: http://www.anabaptistslive.org/?s=frank+reed&submit=Search

    By Anonymous Dwight Gingrich, at 12/16/2014  

  • I keep thinking about your original post and almost have the courage to comment but not quite yet. I feel a bit hesitant for a number of reasons, one being our recent church move. I also love this community very much! And I identify too with your wounding-- I feel wistful about that, and I am sorry...

    We are going through Frank Reed's DVDs of his class at SMBI as a church in our small groups so I find the article you mentioned very interesting and thought provoking. (This is a run-on sentence, but not sure how else to say it.)

    I must run now, perhaps commenting now will help me gather courage to comment on your identity post. :) I see both positives and negatives about our community.
    -Sherilyn

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12/16/2014  

  • Dwight, thanks for clarifying. I think I understood you right, but I understand the caution one feels when there's not a lot of context with a quote.

    Sherilyn, I'm glad you're thinking about further comments. I so love hearing what other people are thinking, and appreciate that it takes effort to verbalize thoughts, besides becoming as vulnerable as is sometimes necessary to do so.

    By Blogger Mrs. I (Miriam Iwashige), at 12/16/2014  

  • I'm curious what Frank Reed means when he states that "we have what the world needs." Is he talking about us having Jesus to offer, or something else? Do we have ALL that the world needs, or some of what the world needs? Also the statement about the Anabaptist filter being the least obtrusive filter. Do you have further thoughts to offer on those things?

    I did like his list of observations, though.

    Keep writing, Miriam! I like having fresh fodder to chew on.

    By Anonymous Rosina, at 12/18/2014  

  • This very thing has been on my mind a lot the last 6 months or so. It would take way to long to verbalize what I have been thinking. But I keep coming to the bottom line for me--any thing outside of Jesus Christ is a fleeting and shaky identity! That includes my family, my job, my church, my role in the church, anything! All of those things have the potential to change, therefore being a very shaky foundation. But Jesus Christ is the same, yesterday, today, and forever!

    By Blogger Unknown, at 12/18/2014  

  • Rosina, I suspect that the things you raise questions about are some of the same things that gave Dwight pause. I listened to a talk by Frank Reed at the link Dwight provided. I believe what he said there brings some balance to what seems here like a statement that needs qualifying. For example, he gave cautions there about operating out of an ideology instead of the life of Christ in us, and pointed out that once we are in an ideological box, we tend to limit interchange with others outside the box. As Christians we ought to have something to offer those outside the box, and we ought to receive from others who don't fit into our box. What I listened to was "The Past 50 Years." Reed does believe, however, that Anabaptists overall have a better "handle" on truth than other Christian groups--probably a reasonable position if you're going to be an Anabaptist. Reed is not a Mennonite, but a Dunkard Brethren person.

    By Blogger Mrs. I (Miriam Iwashige), at 12/18/2014  

  • Dorcas, you're right to come back to our identity in Christ as being foundational, with other things being fleeting. The fleeting nature of all things earthly is a pesky feature of our life here, and identity definitions in general are only as long as life. That isn't to say though that identity during life in inconsequential. A secondary thing can still be an important thing. Sometimes, for example, it is these things that provide an opportunity to share Christ.

    By Blogger Mrs. I (Miriam Iwashige), at 12/18/2014  

Post a Comment



<< Home