Prairie View

Thursday, December 27, 2012

The Idea of Education

More than a decade ago LeRoy H. told  Hiromi  about some firewood he had for sale.  It came from a huge elm tree that had died at the corner of Aunt Lizzie's house, where Eldon and Jane live now.  LeRoy was boarding there and had taken on the task of cleaning up the dead tree.  After assuring Hiromi that this was good hard wood from American or Chinese elm instead of the soft, light wood we had used before from Siberian elms, he said, "I like cutting wood--or at least I like the idea of cutting wood."  The afterthought probably came on the heels of remembering that cutting wood is actually pretty hard work, and sometimes is not all that much fun.

If my observations are accurate, a lot of people like education in the same way that LeRoy liked cutting wood.  They are much in love with the idea of education, and not so much in love with the hard work of acquiring it.  As an educator, I am, of course, distressed when I encounter the former coupled with disdain for the latter.

I've written before about what I consider an unholy reverence for the wisdom of those who are formally educated.  If I see it right, there's a lot of foolishness and ignorance intact inside the heads of some people who have degrees.  It's possible, in fact, that those whose study has been highly specialized are more ignorant than most people about most things, although probably not in their narrow area of study.

On the other hand, I believe it's possible also to not be properly respectful of the knowledge of those who have studied a  matter thoroughly.  This is especially distressing when people proceed confidently to operate out of their own ignorance, even in matters that affect others significantly far into the future, rather than seeking to learn from those who already have deep knowledge of the matter.  This is based not at all on whether the input from those who are educated is wise or foolish, but instead on whether the less educated person is proud or humble.

I really admire people who are willing to learn from those who are wiser.  I also admire people who have acquired wisdom by exerting personal effort--through formal education or otherwise.  I hope I always have the sense to--

--differentiate between wisdom and formal education
--exert the necessary effort to acquire deep knowledge when it's needed
--learn humbly from others who have acquired deep knowledge
--discern the limitations of knowledge
--treasure Godly wisdom above all else

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



<< Home