Prairie View

Thursday, December 20, 2012

The Page and I

Who was Good King Wenceslas?  And what is the feast of Stephen?

Writing recently about "I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day"  sparked memories of another old Christmas song that I suspect is also less well-known than some.  I learned this one from my mother, which is rather surprising, given the fact that she never fancied herself a gifted singer or took an unusual interest in music.  How then did she learn the "Good King Wenceslas" Christmas song and pass it on?  I don't know.

If you're already familiar with this song, you might want to skip straight to the end of the post.  For the rest, getting acquainted with the song will happen more easily if you understand its setting on a cold, windy, snowy night in Bohemia (Modern Czechoslovakia) in the tenth century.  No one vouches for the historical accuracy of every detail in the story song, but it's based on fact.  The man who later came to be called King Wenceslas was, in fact, a good and kind man, also known as Svaty Vaclav, although he was only a duke--not a king.  He probably had a page, or errand boy, as the King in this song story had, and there were almost certainly poor peasants around, who needed mercy from the wealthy people among whom they lived.  The song refers to such a peasant.  In the lyrics below, I've taken the liberty to change the font to show how this song can be sung with a chorus and two male solo parts.  I've designated the singing parts by identifying them with each of the following "script characters":  Narrator(chorus), King Wenceslas,  and Page .  The words below are taken from the website in the center line of the middle stanza below:

Good King Wenceslas looked outon the feast of Stephen,when the snow lay round about,deep and crisp and even.Brightly shown the moon that night,though the frost was cruel,when a poor man came in sight,gathering winter fuel.

Hither, page, and stand by me.If thou know'st it telling:yonder peasant, who is he?Where and what his dwelling?Sire, he lives a good league hence,underneath the mountain,right against the forest fenceby Saint Agnes fountain.

Bring me flesh, and bring me wine.Bring me pine logs hither.Thou and I will see him dinewhen we bear them thither.[ From: http://www.metrolyrics.com/good-king-wenceslas-lyrics-christmas-carols.html ]Page and monarch, forth they went,forth they went togetherthrough the rude wind's wild lamentand the bitter weather.

Sire, the night is darker now,and the wind blows stronger.Fails my heart, I know not how.I can go no longer.Mark my footsteps my good page,tread thou in them boldly:Thou shalt find the winter's ragefreeze thy blood less coldly.

In his master's steps he trod,where the snow lay de[i]nted.Heat was in the very sodwhich the saint had printed.Therefore, Christian men, be sure,wealth or rank possessing,ye who now will bless the poorshall yourselves find blessing

Poor King Wenceslas was murdered by his brother, who obviously did not share his brother's piety.  When KIng Wenceslas was killed through treachery, his page later retaliated against the killers and was then also killed by hanging.  His body was reportedly never removed from the noose in which he died.

Click here for a rousing rendition of "Good King Wenceslas" in male voices with very British accents.  And here's a copy of the music.

One more detail:  The Feast of Stephen is celebrated on December 26.  It's counted among the twelve days of Christmas which begin with December 25 and end with Epiphany on January 6.  "Old Christmas" is the Pennsylvania German term I'm familiar with for Epiphany (the celebration of the visit of the Wise Men), as commemorated in the Western--largely Catholic--church.  The Eastern Orthodox church celebrates Jesus' baptism at the end of the Twelve Days of Christmas instead of the Wise Men's visit, as the Western church does.  

"KIng Wenceslas was probably richer than I and the peasant was poorer than I, but the page--he's the one I can identify with.  In the presence of the King, common people like him and me can go forth with courage, warmed and energized for the task at hand.  Walking in His steps lets blessings happen while we're concentrating on something else.  

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



<< Home