Prairie View

Saturday, August 09, 2008

The Wedding

Today was Shane and Dorcas' wedding. Warm fuzzy feelings are chasing each other in circles around my heart.

After triple digit heat last week, today saw a high of around 80 degrees. From Grant's perspective, the heavy rain in the forecast was a downer. He had spent a bunch of time yesterday taking the whole top off the yellow jeep his employer, the owner of Oatney Automotive, offered Shane as a getaway car. The forecast made that look like an unwise move, so this morning Grant put the top back on. The rain, which came in torrents both early and late in the day held off during the day, and Shane and Dorcas rode away with the canvas down, so it was still a fun way to leave.

When we arrived at the church this morning we found the picture taking having slowed to a near halt because the electricity was off. It came back on after perhaps 45 minutes, and things worked out alright, but we did a lot of walking and working in the semi-dark during that time.

I hardly know what to say about the open mike time at the reception except that I thought it was the best open mike time I have ever witnessed. I don't suppose there's any chance that I'm revealing a prejudice here.

Hiromi stole the show when he proceeded to sing for the audience the only song that is traditionally sung at Japanese weddings. He began by saying, "As most of you know, Shane loves to sing. After I get done singing this song, you will be glad for what I did not do to Shane."

He made more hilarious comments, poking fun at himself, the song itself, and the process he was going through to make this work. The crutch he used was a tiny little MP3 player (I think that's what it was.), with earphones. He plugged the earphones into his ears and sang along with what he was listening to. Only he started singing along with the wrong song at first, and then calmly informed the audience of what had happened and went back to searching for the right one. I've always thought Hiromi possesses a really dramatic (but usually concealed) flair, and it was on display in all its glory today. The audience was in stitches, and applauded loud and long after he finished.

I'm not nearly done writing about the wedding, but this mother of the groom is ready for bed, and I'll write more another time.

My main sense is an overwhelming gratitude for God's blessing, and for the family and the community of faith that makes events like today's such a deeply satisfying experience. It was such a good time that I surprised myself by not even having to cry very much. I'm grateful for that too. Crying is such a messy affair.

3 Comments:

  • Let's see, the 'mike' in open mike comes from what word? Or would that look more like 'mic'?
    Anyway, I (we) really enjoy reading your posts, so keep up the interesting commentary.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8/10/2008  

  • I know, I know. I thought of it when I wrote it, but I just knew that if I wrote "mic," whoever saw it would say "mick" and decided to go for the typical spelling for the word that is pronounced that way.
    See the Merriam-Webster online entry for "mike."

    Pronunciation:
    \ˈmīk\
    Function:
    noun
    : microphone

    By Blogger Mrs. I, at 8/10/2008  

  • We enjoyed Hiromi's song very much! But we wished for a translation of it, plus he should have just sung the one he started as well so we could have enjoyed 2 of them.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8/11/2008  

Post a Comment



<< Home