Prairie View

Monday, August 04, 2008

Quote for the Day 8/4/2008

LeRoy: Are you still obsessing over the details for the wedding?

Me: Me? Am I obsessing over details?

LeRoy: You are obsessing over details.

Me: I'm lousy with details. How could I be obsessing over them?

LeRoy: I saw your rice preparation paper. Four pages of details. (His mother is cooking, and he must have seen her paper.)

Me: If I don't write it down I don't remember things like that. A lot of people can keep track of details in their head. Not me. If I don't pin them to paper, they're lost. Do you know that nothing is simple when you're planning food for almost 400 people? You can't even make a shopping list until you've done a lot of measuring and math. I've decided that the best way to simplify a wedding would be to choose a convenient facility and then invite only as many people as fit into that facility. But even then, I feel conflicted, because the people are obviously the most important part of a wedding, and it seems a little backwards to start out by limiting the number of people who can participate.

LeRoy: I think the way to simplify it would be to have a carry-in. I love carry-ins.

Me: I've heard of people doing that. Actually, the thing I'm obsessing about the most is getting my house ready for company.

LeRoy: You really think people are going to come look at your house?

Me: I at least want to be able to invite people to stop by. I don't think much about how things look until I start looking at my house through other people's eyes. Then I realize that there's quite a lot that would probably be shocking. I don't want people to be shocked.

LeRoy: I guess women are like that. Lizzie (who provides room and board to LeRoy) is always cleaning things. She's thinks the condition of my room is scandalous.

Me: I don't clean my boys' rooms, and I hope Lizzie doesn't clean yours. Did I ever tell you the funny thing your Mom said when we were there for Sunday dinner. She said she couldn't help being organized. She just is. Then she was talking about your Dad and she said he doesn't always know what he's going to do tomorrow. "How can you not know what you're going to do tomorrow? " I can understand that perfectly.

LeRoy: Yeah. We have this joke in our family. We say that some of us have the Border Collie gene. We try to get all the details herded in. And my mom sometimes tries to herd everyone around her. And some of my sisters are that way. Sometimes they're more gracious about it than at other times.

This whole conversation took place after we got back to the church from the rescue mission service and we were scattering to go home.

I personally think that LeRoy has not done quite enough obsessing in the past or he would not be 45-plus and still single. Or maybe that's why he's single. Too much obsessing over details, and never quite getting launched. I don't hold it against him though, (whatever it is that has determined his circumstances) and wish him well, even if he misjudges my relationship with details.

Please excuse me while I get back to wedding plans.

2 Comments:

  • Miriam, I am afraid I shall have to agree with LeRoy on this one; I see you as a very detail-oriented person. I couldn't possibly come up with 4 pages of rice preparation instructions if my life depended on it! :-)

    By Blogger Rhoda, at 8/06/2008  

  • Just for the record, it was actually 2 1/3 pages--the first page for the recipe, then a section on supplies, and a list of tasks--divided into "day before" sections and "wedding day" sections.

    On whether or not I am detail-oriented, I'll have to say that if that is true (and I think it probably is in some ways), I am so only in selected and widely scattered areas. In between, there is a vast wasteland of details that completely escape my notice.

    By Blogger Mrs. I, at 8/06/2008  

Post a Comment



<< Home