Prairie View

Monday, July 28, 2008

Quote for the Day 7/28/2008

Shane: (At noon, after having worked in the yard at his house all morning) : Well, I moved that driveway this morning.

Me: How did you know where to put it?

Shane: I just sighted a line straight east of the corner of the house.

Me: I thought you were going to go out about six feet north of the corner of the house, and then put in the drive straight east of there.

Shane: Oh. I forgot about that.

Me: Did the city make you move the culvert?

Shane: No. It's located at the divide, so the water goes both ways from there. I just took out the culvert.

Me: Remember to thank the Lord for that. You were worried about that being complicated.

Shane: How wide is the driveway supposed to be?

Me: I think 10 feet. I saw it on a bunch of city ordinances I found on the internet.

Shane: Well, let's just say I don't think that particular type of ordinance has made it onto the books at the Abbyville city hall.*

Later. . . .

Shane: Well, I guess I'm going to go out there to move the driveway again. . . . It's not funny.


When I got there this evening the driveway was moved to its predetermined location, the parking areas were smartly marked off, and two clumps of spirea had been transplanted, plus one clump of lilacs. The old sidewalk pieces had been dug up, and a large pile of stumps awaited burning or moving. Numerous other stumps remain, and only a limited amount of leveling could be done, with the roots of vegetation bunching up repeatedly in front of the skid steer blade. But it all looks quite a lot more hopeful than it did several weeks ago.


Shane: I should have had coffee this morning. I putzed around all morning and didn't get anything done. Then this afternoon I really tore the place up. (That's not exactly what he said, but I don't talk that way.)


Josh and Misty planned to help tonight with putting on the final coat of paint on the trim inside the house. The kitchen cupboards are being built this week and will soon be installed. That's the final major task on the interior of the house.

On the outside, Shane plans to lay a brick sidewalk to the front porch from the parking area, and edge at least part of the parking area with limestone rocks. Both the limestone rocks and the paver bricks were salvaged from old basements that he helped replace with new concrete construction.

Shane: I skipped lunch for two days in a row, and spent the time picking up those bricks one by one out of the floor of a basement we were tearing up.

Shane: Both the electric cook stove and the dryer plugs are the wrong kinds for the receptacles they wired into the house. I'm going to have to change the receptacles--while trying not to get electrocuted.

*Abbyville population: 128. When Shane called the city office to ask about moving the driveway, the lady who works there told him they don't have any rules about driveways, but suggested he stop by the mayor's house sometime when he's home and talk to him about where the underground lines are buried, just to make sure he doesn't dig into anything he shouldn't. Smalltown, USA for sure.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



<< Home