Prairie View

Tuesday, April 05, 2022

Sewing, Books, and Blustering

Just now I noticed, perhaps for the first time, what my total number of blog posts amounts to: 1,597.  I posted for the very first time in March 2006.  

**************

I spent most of the day at the sewing, the monthly day when the ladies from Center and Cedar Crest gather to make quilts, comforters, and to sew items like school bags, etc.  Many of these items are channeled through relief agencies like Mennonite Central Committee and Christian Aid Ministries.  Some find a use locally--through agencies like homeless shelters, nursing homes, hospice, and even Headstart families.  The nicest quilts are donated to an auction where the proceeds go toward charitable causes.  

The event is a wonderful time for social interaction as well.  Today I had a good time visiting with my 85-year-old aunt, while we stitched away next to each other around a quilt.  Her husband died within the past year, and we talked about him, their life together, and the adjustments since his death.  

Aunt Emma and I and Ruth, who quilted on the other side of Emma, also talked about Paul W. Nisly's recently published memoir.  He grew up here and married Laura, who also grew up here.  Emma said that Laura was her favorite cousin.  The "favorite" part was news to me.   Paul had a career as a teacher and pastor.  Literature was his field.  He did graduate work at the University of Kansas. By far the longest stint happened  at Messiah College (now University) in Grantham, PA.  My brother Caleb retired from teaching there a year ago.  They attended church together at Slate Hill Mennonite.  

A week and a half ago, Paul and his wife were in church, and I had a chance to talk with him briefly about his book.  I particularly noticed how adeptly he handled parts of the story that were sensitive in terms of how they might have reflected on others.  He was both truthful and kind.  I told him that I appreciated that.

People who know about the social aspects of sewing day love to characterize it as an occasion for gossip. I won't declare that gossip never happens, but I will say that it doesn't usually happen around me.  People are kinder than that.  I think it's far more likely that people go home and pray than it is that people dash off immediately to share what they heard at the sewing.

Today I heard that Linda from Cedar Crest has had a recurrence of cancer.  Her daughter got married only a week or two ago.  I presume that she has learned of the recurrence since then. There were tears among Linda's friends today, knowing that at the very least, arduous treatment lies ahead.

People who found the hard metal folding chairs a trial at the sewing will be glad to know that we have some nice new padded chairs.  Actually, they're used, probably discarded by a restaurant that was replacing them.  Having church people in the business of trash disposal has its benefits.  It's not what people usually think of when they use the term dumpster diving, but when things are free like this we won't quibble about the exact method by which they were procured.  

***********

I just learned about another book written by a friend, Esther (Yoder) Stenson.  We attended Sterling College at the same time.  Before that, she had worked in El Salvador for several years, and then she moved from Virginia to Kansas to go to college among some of her friends from here.  After that, she took up a teaching position as an English teacher in China.  The book is about her time in China.  Here is a link to where the book can be purchased.

************

Leaders from many countries have been taking measures to declare President Putin of Russia a war criminal.  I think the designation would fit the circumstances, because I believe that many innocent people have been killed under Putin's direction.  I'm thoughtful though about a standard that excuses or even celebrates the killing of another under "legitimate" circumstances.  Soldiers who wear the uniform of an enemy country, for example, are fair game as targets. I hear the "logic" of this, but I don't think it holds up when compared to the standard of love and sacrifice that Jesus taught.

*************

We're in for a number of blustery days this week, with a somber warning for tomorrow." We're in the same county as Hutchinson. Check out this image if you have lingering doubts about this assessment.  High winds, low humidity, lots of dry fuel and large volatile areas call for utmost vigilance.

  






0 Comments:

Post a Comment



<< Home