Prairie View

Saturday, April 02, 2022

Gardening Pleasures

This will be a ^%()*&^%yyyyyy post.  I have the loveliest pile of it in my garden, delivered by Joel, purchased from the dairy farm just west of Sturdi-Bilt.  Merle Yoder loaded it onto David's pickup, which Joel had borrowed from him.  I guess when David is your father-in-law, such things can be arranged even if he's in El Salvador.  

It's so thoroughly composted that there's no odor, and I feel like it's exactly what my garden needs to get it's no-till magic kick-started.  

I'm in the process of making my garden more tidy and less sprawling.  The end game is to create several wide grassy paths to make it more convenient for Hiromi to haul things around in the garden with the riding mower and dump cart.  It will reduce the planting area somewhat, but I think we're ready for the trade-off.  

************

The first seeds and transplants went into the ground today at the Partridge Community Garden.  It was the first time I met the family who lives just east of the church where the garden is located.  The children from that household are good workers, and I suspect they will soak up a lot of know-how before the season is over.  My granddaughters were part of the crew too, and I was pleased to see everyone getting acquainted and having a good time.  

The Hutchinson Community Foundation awarded a sizeable grant to facilitate the project that will include the construction of a large gazebo near the garden to create a gathering spot in the vacant lot north of the church.  

I'm really happy to be involved in a project where I can just show up and do the part of the project that I'm responsible for without feeling overwhelmed at the size of the task.  

Hiromi is helping to get the drip irrigation system designed and installed.  His experience here at home gave him a lot of practice. 

**************

Today I examined and watered all the wintersown jugs.  Not every jug has green things growing, but most of them do, and I really love seeing the healthy little plants.  It looks like I'll have lots of Sweet Williams and Verbascum plants.     


0 Comments:

Post a Comment



<< Home