Prairie View

Saturday, March 26, 2022

Writing Duty Done

 Today was Spring Celebration at Pleasantview.  I wasn't planning to attend until I realized that it was the first year that Shane would be introducing his latest business venture to the community as part of this longstanding event.  I thought maybe I should show up in support of that.  The pulled pork sandwiches being served at Skyland Industrial sounded good too.  The whole family was present, including the chubby baby, and other employees were helping out with the logistics.

The building that Shane had been renting on the Fairview Service site is being repurposed as a coffee shop, the project of Rodica, the daughter of the Fairview Service owner.  So Shane purchased a Sturdi-Bilt office/garage combination.  It was in place for today, but the inside was not finished out yet. 

***********

In other news, Hiromi and I planted eight 15-ft. onion rows today.  One bunch was a mix of Intermediate Day onions (Candy, Super Star, and Red Candy).  I also planted Patterson, the replacement for Copra, which is a long-keeping onion.  The other kind was Red River.  

***********

This evening the ladies in the Miller family got together at Myron and Rhoda's place.  It was the first of what we hope will be a recurring event.

While we were there, Andrew, (Myron and Rhoda's son), came home from work (at 8:00 pm?).  He had gone to work at 3:45 AM.  Reportedly, the crew he works with poured three times the amount of concrete that another local crew has ever poured in one day.  The owner of the business was my student once upon a day.  This feat does not surprise me as much as a massive volume of schoolwork accomplished in one day would have surprised me earlier.  

*************

I met someone at Stutzman's today who had apparently driven in from western Kansas.  He reported that there was a massive fire west of Stafford which he saw as he traveled.  Stafford is in the country west of Reno County where I live.  I didn't hear about it from other sources.  I'm happy that the wind was less wild than it was here during the Cottonwood Complex event when 35 homes were lost, plus many outbuildings, pets and farm animals.  One person died. 

************

I got my first look this evening at Nelson and Hannah Martin's son Caspian.  He was sober and watchful and contented a good part of the evening, although he has definitely mastered the silent but gravely distressed facial expression to a T.  Nor is he always silent when he's distressed.  He's a handsome child.  

************

Bella and Ezra, my sister Lois' grandchildren, are older and much more vocal.  They played happily nearly all evening.  

************

My Sunday School class preparation is not finished, and I need to move along, despite having failed to write about anything at all that is significant in anyone's world except mine.

    

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



<< Home