Prairie View

Saturday, October 01, 2016

I Need a LIst

My comp class this year includes an unusual number of students who are very proficient speakers of the Pennsylvania German language--Dutch, in our parlance, which is itself a corruption of Deutsche, the word Germans use for the name of their language.

At the beginning of the year I told the students that every time I saw Dutch-influenced terminology in their writing I would point it out if it didn't sound to my ears like the way English-speaking-only people would say it.  I acknowledged that I was going by a fuzzy standard in doing so, but justified it by reminding students that I have a lot more years of listening to and reading language by "English-speaking-only" people than they have, so they should just take my word for it when I tell them that there's a better way to say this (I'm sure you can tell that I'm bossy-parent-like sometimes).

In this class, I reiterated, the writing is expected to be mostly formal, with occasional projects that allow a more casual tone.  This is the emphasis because I want them to be well-prepared for communicating with people both inside and outside our cultural enclave, and I want them to be equipped to do well in school beyond high school if that is part of their future.

"How are we supposed to know?" was the dispirited "wail" I heard from one student the other day when she saw a note on her paper about a Dutch-inspired expression.  She was especially distressed because it was the only thing marked on the paper, and she had not gotten a perfect score.  I know exactly why that would be disappointing.  It is hard to know when you're doing these things yourself.  I shudder sometimes at how often I probably do something similar.  I pointed out that I don't usually count Dutch-influenced language as an error if it fits grammatically.  In her case, I said that I had done some subjective grading when I assigned 49 points out of 50 possible--because I thought the paper was also a little shorter than was ideal, etc.  In other words, it wasn't perfect, so I didn't give it a perfect score.

Another student pointed out that having an adult read over your paper before you hand it in can help head off some awkward wording.  Yes.  Exactly.  I've always urged students to do this.

I reminded them again that this class is for learning.  If ever a good place exists for making Dutch-inspired errors, this is it, because it can be swiftly addressed and corrected.  Most situations outside the classroom are not like this.  Most of us don't wish to be social pariahs in the grammar department, so we keep our mouths shut when we hear such errors elsewhere, and the speaker is none the wiser.

As I had done before, I also asked them to please bring to me any examples they find in published material (I probably should have said "professionally edited" material) where something that I labeled as a "Dutchy" expression is used.  In other words, if my sense that something is Dutchy proves to be exactly like what English-speaking-only people are using, I will remove the Dutchy label from that terminology.

That brings me finally to the list I need: "Improvements on Dutchy Terminology,"  for which I am asking your help.  I had informally jotted down some things that fit such a category from papers as I came across them.  When I mentioned that I was doing this, a student begged me to give them such a list.  That was a very sensible suggestion, and I want to give them a readable version of what I have so far--if I can find the list, that is.

I'll illustrate what I have in mind by giving  an example, despite not being able to remember all the details precisely.  You'll get the idea, even with haphazard details.  In the paper that produced a wail recently, the student had written a description of another person who loves to read and adores to play with the pets.  I suggested "playing" as an improvement over "to play."  I do know that both expressions are verbals that can be used as a noun.  "To play" is an infinitive, and "playing" is a gerund.  They both fill the need for a noun in that spot in the sentence, so the grammar is not wrong.

I have noticed this before--the tendency of Dutch-influenced language to use the infinitive form when the gerund form would create a more pleasing construction.  The student had actually done it exactly "right" later in the same sentence.  How would you explain when to use which one?  I'm not sure, except to say that it doesn't sound right to me, and I don't think that's how most people say it.  It's ear training, partly--maybe even mostly this.

On my list with the "Improvements on Dutchy Terminology" title, I would have one column labeled "Dutchy Terminology."  A second column title would say "Improvement." In the above example, I would list this in the Dutchy Terminology category:  Using the wrong verbal.  Below it I would list an example:  " . . . adores to play with the pets" (infinitive form)  In the "Improvement" column I would list this:  Using the right verbal.  The example below:  " . . . adores playing with the pets.  "To play" and "playing" would be in bold font.  (See what I'm doing here--creating a handout in my head--saves time at school, but creates a long post).

The second example is the Dutchy use of "would." This site just furnished me with terminology that I never used before. "Would" is a modal verb.  A quote from the site says this:  A modal verb (also modal, modal auxiliary verb, or modal auxiliary) is a type of verb that is used to indicate modality – that is: likelihood, ability, permission, and obligation. Examples include the English verbs can/could, may/might, must, will/would, and shall/should. A student paper said that a baseball player's name "would be __________."  I suggested that he say the player's name "is __________" instead of "would be"--as if it might happen in the future or is conditional or uncertain.  I referred to the Dutch equivalent --" 's voah." He got it and laughed.

On my handout the Dutchy column will list "Using a modal verb" in the first column, and "Using a present tense verb of being" in the second column.  The examples will be "His name would be ________________."  and "His name is __________________.

I'll have to look at notes at school to extend the list.

I told  the comp class early on that I wish to affirm any student who speaks Dutch fluently.  I consider it a wonderful benefit to them, and personally love to hear it spoken.  I understand everything I hear, but am less and less fluent in speaking it.  They must be aware, however, what is required in formal writing, and avoid what doesn't belong in that category.

Am I making too big a deal of formal writing?  Possibly,   Probably.  Not a chance.  That's my current thinking on the subject.


I

17 Comments:

  • I would be very interested in seeing a list like this!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10/01/2016  

  • I'll keep you in mind, Lori, if I ever get it pulled together. I saw when I got to school that some of what I had on the list could probably not be called Dutchy expressions so much as slightly unrefined or overly casual. This is getting into even more subjective territory than the Dutchy list, so whoever sees the list will need to take these things into account.

    By Blogger Mrs. I (Miriam Iwashige), at 10/01/2016  

  • I'm not sure if this is Dutchy or if it's a regional term, but "once" in this phrase doesn't sound formally correct to me. Let's get started once (Pa Dutch word sounds like: mohl). Some of my Pennsylvania friends would say Let's get started a while ("Dutch": ahls-uh-vah-uhl). I think it would be better to just end the sentence with "started". Linda

    By Blogger LRM, at 10/02/2016  

  • Linda, I used "once" as an example of a Dutchy expression in class recently, but in a different usage. It came at the beginning of a sentence when multiple steps of a process were being enumerated. For example: "Once you have done this, then you do that." "When" is the improvement I suggested. I think your examples belong on the list too.

    By Blogger Mrs. I (Miriam Iwashige), at 10/02/2016  

  • I agree about "once." I observed that when my children's "Dutchy" Aunt says to them "Come once" (Kom mohl). I hope you post that list here.

    By Blogger D Yoder, at 10/03/2016  

  • Two common expressions that don't sound quite right to me are "talking Dutch (English, Spanish)" instead of "speaking Dutch" and "Thursday in a week" instead of "(in) a week from Thursday." I'm not absolutely certain that these phrases are incorrect, but the alternatives do sound better to me. What do you think?

    By Blogger Unknown, at 10/03/2016  

  • I have a few more to add to the list: "forenoon" and "grave yard". Maybe they don't belong on the list. I think they are both considered correct English, but they sound archaic to me. And they are transliterated from their Pennsylvania counterparts. Another one is "goes by" like, His name is William but he goes by Bill. And then there is using the term "girl" for all women unless they are married. The Pennsylvania German term for woman is the same word as wife, thus the confusion. Linda

    By Blogger LRM, at 10/07/2016  

  • I'm late to this discussion, but I just have to say amen to Jackie's "Thursday in a week" example. I did not grow up with that phrase and I cringe when I hear it used in a formal situation with English speaking people.

    By Blogger Ann, at 10/12/2016  

  • Jackie and Ann have highlighted an expression that I think I've been guilty of using--"Thursday in a week." Thanks for pointing it out. "A week from Thursday" does sound right to me too, and I'm hoping that maybe I've said it that way sometimes.

    By Blogger Mrs. I (Miriam Iwashige), at 10/13/2016  

  • As an English-only speaker who as been raised by editors, I certainly support your efforts to formalize and 'un-dutchify' the writing of our people. I don't know if this ever gets into writing but I know I hear it sometimes: put out the light (sometimes: make out...). In my thinking it should be 'turn off the light.' Perhaps I will think of more such things that I've heard after muling a bit more on this... I know that I have noticed other expressions that aren't correct in English. Though I usually can smile at them, they never do 'go down' right for me. :)

    By Blogger Unknown, at 10/23/2016  

  • I actually don't think the conditional "Once" is an error--see http://forum.wordreference.com/threads/conditional-sentences-with-when-once-as-soon-as.2557814/ and https://ell.stackexchange.com/questions/11692/tense-and-conditional-sentences-if-once .

    By Anonymous EldestSon, at 11/14/2016  

  • With regard to "speak a language" vs. "talk a language", it seems that "speak" is at least preferred, but I note that even the BBC has a "talk Spanish" course. The second answer in this article (https://ell.stackexchange.com/questions/630/what-are-the-differences-between-to-talk-and-to-speak ) discusses the difference, and http://speakspeak.com/resources/english-grammar-rules/various-grammar-rules/speak-talk-differences gives "talk a language" as an error. So...there's value in leaning away from "talk Spanish", but I'm not sure that it's an issue specific to Dutch linguistic background.

    By Anonymous EldestSon, at 11/14/2016  

  • Also, "Johns" (or "Johns'" or "Johns'") when referring either to "the family in which John is the adult male" or to that family's residence. I get the impression that this usage is fairly distinctive to the Amish/Mennonite culture, and its typical usage carries with it a huge load of patriarchal baggage.

    By Anonymous EldestSon, at 11/14/2016  

  • To "put out" can be a synonym for "extinguish", per definitions at https://www.oxfordlearnersdictionaries.com/definition/english/put-out_1 . To "make [something] out" in the same sense is "chiefly Pennsylvania German" per item 57 in http://www.dictionary.com/browse/make--out?s=t . Hearing the two words together likely has stronger associations with another meaning for most English speakers w/ PA German background.

    By Anonymous EldestSon, at 11/14/2016  

  • "Go by [a name]" is idiomatic, but seems fairly standard--though links in this post are probably more descriptive than prescriptivist: https://english.stackexchange.com/questions/121839/i-go-by-this-name

    By Anonymous EldestSon, at 11/14/2016  

  • References to relative times ("next Wednesday", "Wednesday in a week", etc.) are a source of much angst. See this question and this one on StackExchange. (What does "next" mean?) Apparently, "Wednesday week" is also a common usage, though previously unknown to me. "Wednesday of next week" seems like a good candidate for usually being correctly understood, but generally--it seems that in this case, it's best to be aware that meanings may be ambiguous and need special effort to clarify.

    By Blogger Joel, at 11/14/2016  

  • And further on weekdays: "Which day does next Tuesday refer to?"

    By Blogger Joel, at 11/14/2016  

Post a Comment



<< Home