Prairie View

Saturday, September 24, 2016

Testing a Premise on Education

The premise I'll put forth here is still in formation, despite appearing as an assertion upon which other conclusions can be based.  I suspect it will be addressed in multiple posts in the future, although I have no clearly formed plan for doing so.

Premise

All individuals involved when underage children are being taught thrive best in a setting with these characteristics:

1.  The group is family-sized.  Note that my parental family included twelve children, my paternal grandparents also had twelve children, and  my maternal grandparents had ten children. I consider these numbers family-sized, but toward the upper end of the category.

2.  The children are of varying ages, as would be typical in a family.

Corollaries

1.  The model does include homeschooling, but does not require that teaching be only by the parent in the home.

2.  The model can include group schooling efforts, but would not fit what is most typical in classroom schools.

3.   The model can include both a strong community/church component and a strong family-responsibility component.

4.  Children from several families can be taught together, as long as the total numbers remain below 12 or so.

I have never seen a model like this in operation, although I am aware of some approximations of it.  I have, for example, taught three other children along with my own in our home.  I know of homeschool groups that offer coop classes, usually involving children from several families being taught by one parent or non-parent teacher.   Our own  Pilgrim School offers homeschoolers access to some of its classes.  All these represent efforts to reap the benefits and minimize the disadvantages of both homeschooling and group schooling.

I will examine the above premise on the basis of my own varied experiences and observations and on insights I've gleaned from others.  Especially I will attempt to apply what can be learned from Scripture.

My readers are part of that "others" category from whom I have learned, and I welcome their further input.  I have no straitjackets in my wardrobe, however,  and will not accept any that are offered to me.

2 Comments:

  • I'm looking forward to reading more of your thoughts supporting this premise. Are there any studies that focus on this model of education and its results? I've read an article you linked to previously,about education in Finland, and found it fascinating.

    I agree that there are benefits and drawbacks to both homeschooling and conventional classrooms, and would love to learn more about a hybrid that can combine the best of both worlds.

    By Anonymous Jackie, at 9/29/2016  

  • Jackie, the Finland article got me thinking about some options I hadn't given a lot of thought to earlier. I have not seen studies on this model, but I think pieces of it are buried in a variety of approaches and studies, just as you observed, no doubt, in the Finland approach.

    I'm hopeful that prayerful, open minds can create the model, with the guidance of Scriptures and the Holy Spirit. Discernment and keen powers of observation are essential too.

    I'm encouraged by your interest and look forward to hearing more as thoughts occur to you.

    By Blogger Mrs. I (Miriam Iwashige), at 9/29/2016  

Post a Comment



<< Home