Prairie View

Sunday, September 25, 2016

A Premise on Education--Part 2: Leroy's Opinion

Leroy is Leroy H., known to anyone who has lived in our part of Kansas in the past 30 or so years.  He is knowledgeable about many things and has a multitude of opinions, many of them interesting.  Some of them have been informed by reading and traveling, but mostly by having an out-sized curiosity and by being a keen observer.  He learns a lot too by conversing with people.  I'm sure a degree from Yale University fits in there somewhere, but it's a little tough to identify how.

A number of months ago, during one of our curriculum committee meetings, Arlyn, our school principal, said that Leroy thinks that schools should focus more heavily on the most basic subjects.  He reported further that Leroy thinks the one-room school model is admirable, since the U.S. had its highest literacy rate ever during the time when that model was the most common one.

I asked Leroy later to explain his viewpoint a little further.  He said then that he does not see consolidation generally as an improvement.  I believe he cited the advantages of younger students learning from older ones when students of mixed ages are present, and having all students left with time to learn by reading things that interest them--rather than having all their time in school crammed full of teacher-directed activities.

I think it was in this conversation that I said I think the consolidation trend is driven by teachers who believe their task is simplified by having fewer classes to prepare for and teach.  This approach is financially feasible only in schools that are large enough to have many students of the same age.

 As I think about it now, I realize that the trend toward consolidation might be as much driven by administrative considerations as by teacher considerations--especially in the public sector.  In any case, the salient point is that consolidation is probably not driven primarily by what results in better outcomes for students, or what is preferred by parents.  Realizing this stops me in my tracks.

I have other reasons for feeling frozen in place when I consider the merits or disadvantages of consolidation.  A major move in that direction has just occurred in our community.  I'm a teacher in a newly-consolidated system.  Significant growth has occurred, along with consolidation.  We now regularly have 99 students in Grades 1-12 under one roof.  Shouldn't I be concentrating on making this model work rather than questioning its merit?

I have in fact been concentrating very hard on making it work--to the tune of investing at least 55 hours a week on site, and more hours at home  (I am not a full-time teacher).  I'm trying to survive the process of making it work, and I'm trying to make students' time in class worthwhile without it being too stressful for them.  It's a challenge, but so far my sanity and health have held together--barely.

Granted, multiple factors are in play--not just consolidation certainly.  My own weaknesses are a hindrance.  I'm not being left to struggle alone either.  Others have come to my aid, and the terms of my employment have even been altered to my benefit.   My classroom is well-equipped and beautiful, and I have big windows and plant-lined window sills.  I'm very grateful for these things.

Niggling thoughts remain, however.  I see other teachers putting in as many hours as I do--or significantly more in some cases.  I know of health problems which have occurred due to stress (a doctor's analysis--not mine).    I hear those who have children voice concern about how little they are able to give to their own children because of what they are giving to the students in their classrooms.  I hear them say they feel that this must be a temporary job for that reason.  I hear former teachers say that's why they're no longer teaching--because they could not do so and parent the way they needed to.  All this makes me feel that the current system may not be working all that well for teachers, despite all involved doing the best they know to do.

My hunch is that some of what has occurred in the interest of efficiency has, in fact, added significantly to the stressfulness of a teacher's job.  I see this as an unintended consequence.  The noble search for ways to alleviate the stress is in process, but all of it carries a price tag--which may prove to be too high eventually.

I am not pessimistic by temperament, but the trajectory I see in the current educational model makes me wish for better models.  It's a motivation powerful enough to make me pick up my feet, laborious as that process proves to be, and set out on a quest for something better.

I'll keep Leroy's opinion tucked in the back of my mind as I go.    




0 Comments:

Post a Comment



<< Home