Prairie View

Saturday, April 26, 2014

Comment on "A Different Breed"

I attempted to post a comment on the original post, after someone else commented.  Possibly due to a power blink, the comment failed to post and was lost.  This time I'm putting it here.

The most thought-provoking aspects of the discussion for me were these:

1.  Loss of the two-kingdom concept.  I believe the two-kingdom concept to be foundational in Christianity and in Mennonite Anabaptism.  Hanging on to this understanding is critical, I believe, and I’m not sure that this is still universally understood among Beachys.

2. Lack of intellectual discipline.  As a teacher, I expend a great deal of effort trying to counter this tendency, and I would really hate to see intellectually undisciplined activity become a trend.  I’d really like to know that other Beachys share this vision and exert effort in this direction.

3. Having fun.   Staging the music event took a lot of time and effort.  For what?  I can’t come up with a satisfying answer.  In general, Beachys have more leisure time and more money than was the case earlier.  I’m not convinced that ever-more-novel ways of having fun are good uses of time and money.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



<< Home