Prairie View

Wednesday, April 02, 2014

In Other Words

An earlier post has generated quite a lot of discussion, and I'm wading into the choppy waters again, this time in plain English.  I don't know everything there is to know about these matters, but those who know me best know that "headcoverings" is not an issue I typically deal with lightheartedly.  On the other hand, I do try hard not to take myself too seriously.  I laugh at myself quite a bit, and even poke fun at myself at times in the hearing of others.  Also, those who know me best know that I am famously clueless about most details of appearance.  I just don't notice them much, on myself or on others.  Perhaps those two facts will be disappointing to some and reassuring to others.  I hope they provide context that was missing from the original post.

Also, I made a conscious choice several weeks ago, to make more direct responses to comments on blog posts.  I saw this response format used effectively elsewhere and liked it.  Earlier, I usually published what came in and let the comments stand without any additions from me.  My new style was not contrived because of this post.

I'm plucking randomly from the amalgam of thoughts that have coursed through my brain in recent days:

1.  Modesty and ostentation can both be conveyed in hair and headcoverings.  I like modesty better.

2.  Between modesty and ostentation lies a continuum.  Everyone's practice falls somewhere on the continuum.  Movement on the continuum is possible.  I believe changes here should happen mindfully, not haphazardly.

3.  What is visible outwardly is related to invisible heart matters.  We're always guessing when we assign inner motives for outward behaviors.  God doesn't have to guess.  He knows.  I don't presume to know exactly what all is behind every behavior I see.  I can't imagine, however, what would be gained by refusing to consider what might be behind behaviors I see.  I have no trouble believing, for example, that the same outward expression could indicate pain, rebellion, vanity, or immaturity.  Even a proud modesty that one commenter referred to could be present.  I mentioned vanity early in the original post mainly because it was easy to incorporate a play on words with "variety."  At the end, I incorporated the image of the Pharisee, and tried to choose Pharisaical language in the prayer words. In reality, I think what I have seen most often would likely come under the "immaturity" category.  Please understand that "irony" is a writing genre with inherent limitations, especially for someone who uses it as rarely as I do--and perhaps for people who read it as rarely as my readers do.

4.  It's OK to say how things look to us.  That's one of the privileges of being human.  One of the obligations of being part of a spiritual family is to speak truthfully, with love, about what God lays on our hearts.

5.  Any new information we take in is filtered through our previous experience.  If we have felt misunderstood in other areas, we have radar for those whose outward behaviors are misunderstood.  If we have felt pain about excessive reference to outward behaviors, we may feel pain at all such references.  If we can remember our own immaturity, we're likely to recognize it in others.  Previous experience is a good teacher, but it provides only a limited perspective.  Belaboring our own interpretation of outward behaviors runs the risk of seeking solutions where no problems exist.  On the other hand, excessive caution in thinking about underlying "causes" risks paralysis.  Sometimes a good dose of common sense really is sufficient for proceeding with confidence.

6.  The filter that matters most, either in expression or response, is the filter of the mind of Christ, as revealed in Scripture and by the direction of the Holy Spirit.

7.  I believe beauty and meaning is present in the teaching in 1 Corinthians 11, no matter what applications are derived from it.  Group agreement on an application does not automatically negate this beauty and meaning.  Certainly the application can be preserved after the connection to beauty and meaning has been lost, and it's always better when the application occurs in connection with a strong sense of its meaning and beauty.

8.  Finally, another mantra I've often repeated to my composition students:  When you write anything at all, in a sense, you lose control over those words as soon as they reach an audience.   The varied responses to the original post substantiate the mantra.  I can explain what I meant, but I can never be sure what it will actually mean to readers.  If anything here sounded like the mind of Christ then you ought to listen.  If it didn't, you still ought to care about learning the mind of Christ.  I hope nothing here steers you away from that pursuit.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



<< Home