Prairie View

Saturday, April 12, 2014

Most Embarrassing Moments

No.  Did you really think I would afflict you and torture myself with personal revelations that fit this description?

I'm all for swiftly and permanently eliminating the requirement for sharing such information upon demand, as is sometimes requested during a party--for entertainment.  When done voluntarily, telling about an embarrassing experience can be cathartic for the teller and amusing for the listener.  But upon demand?  Not much chance, in my estimation, unless others' brains and psyche bear no resemblance to mine.

My first problem at such times in the past has been that I couldn't think of a thing to say.  Even if I could, here's why I wouldn't want to:

1.  The most deeply embarrassing will often not be the slightest bit funny to others.

2.  The most deeply embarrassing will usually be painful to recall.

3.  The demand feels disrespectful of my personal space.

4.  Those who hear the story will gain little from it.

5.  I hate being the center of attention in a party crowd.

I'm glad I found a time to say this when it's unlikely than anyone will feel like I have a bone to pick with them personally.  I've not encountered the problem of being asked to tell a "Most Embarrassing Moment" story for a long time.

 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



<< Home