Prairie View

Sunday, December 29, 2013

Message From a Song Writer

In an earlier post about the booklet our composition class wrote on the life of Anja Miller, I explained that the title of the booklet came from the song "When We Are Called to Sing Your Praise."  To my great surprise, very soon I got an email from the writer of the words to that song, Mary Keithahn, who is a pastor in Rapid City, South Dakota.  She read the blog post and wants to read the book about Anja's life. I promised to send her a copy.

She also wrote this:

"I have felt that this text is one that is needed in churches, but hoped it wouldn't have to be used often.  Unfortunately, there have been too many occasions in the last 12 years when it has been sung often around the country.  I am glad it provides opportunity for Christians to lament within the context of a worshiping, supportive community."

On this website, I found Mary's picture, and more information about her.  On this website, I found the lyrics, and the suggested tune is the same as "America the Beautiful."  The tune I heard is the familiar traditional English tune called "Kingsfold."  A search in a hymnal's tunes index might turn up other familiar lyrics sung to this tune.  Here is a youtube version of the tune and words we sang at Anja's funeral.  The lyrics appear with the youtube rendition.  

Can you imagine how embarrassing it would be to have used the text of Mary's song in its entirety in our comp booklet without having sought and been granted permission from the copyright holder?  I really wished to be able to publish the lyrics in our booklet, but didn't do so, because I didn't have time to do it ethically--by seeking out the copyright holder and getting the necessary permission.  

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



<< Home