Prairie View

Sunday, December 29, 2013

Purse Snippets

At school, if I hear something I wish to remember for later, I often write it on a sticky note and stuff the paper into my purse.  As you can imagine, my purse is often not very tidy.  When I cleaned it out recently, I found fragments of conversations I could no longer recall in their entirety, so sometimes the context has to be imagined.  (Feel free to fill in the blanks if you're in the know.)  Here's what I found:

*******************

Typing student:  This guy on Facebook had an evil and happy smile at the same time and that's hard to                              do.

*******************

Kristi (senior):  I'm not giving biscotti to my favorite freshman--or Travis.

Travis:  So I'm not the favorite of a senior girl?  Not really a burn.

*******************

Ruthie:  It was pretty funny.

Travis:  I didn't even laugh on the inside.

********************

Vanessa:  If you can't find a . . .   Nevermind.

Student:  That was a fizzler.

Travis:  The fizzler bar is getting really close to full height.

********************

Jamison:  Francis Flute is the working man in Midsummer Night's Dream.  (Jamison had a part in this play of Shakespeare.)

********************

After the Bible II teacher gave his class an assignment in which they were to practice an injunction from Hebrews--to exhort another.  Younger siblings were off-limits, and several synonyms for exhort had been suggested.  In the kitchen, immediately after the class:

Student:  I urge you not to call me "Texas."


Called out from one side of the room to the other--

Nathan:  I beseech you to leave some coffee for me.

I hope some more serious exhortation went on later.

*******************

The "Shark Attack" game is not a favorite part of the computerized typing program in use at school.  Other than that, I'm unsure of the context for this exchange.

Vanessa:  If you're trying to make a treaty with us about the Shark Attack game, it's not gonna work.

Travis:  Treaty.  You make it sound like some really official thing.

Vanessa:  Well, what should I have said?

Travis:  Agreement.  Compromise.

Vanessa:  OK.  It's not gonna work to make a compromise.

*******************

I also found this note to myself, apparently to get out of  my head something that was circling endlessly and unproductively.  It's related to downsizing problems connected with last summer's move into a small house.

Need to find a way to--

--Hold on to the memories while releasing the "stuff" related to it.

--Honor the relationships without hanging on to the stuff.

--Honor principles of stewardship without complicating actions unbearably.

I'm fairly impressed with my own wisdom, reading the above note.  It's unfortunately devoid of details on exactly how one goes about doing these things, and for that, I'm unimpressed.  I really need to get into the book Joel kindly ordered and had shipped to me:  Moving On:  A Practical Guide to Downsizing the Family Home--How to get rid of the stuff, keep the memories, maintain the family peace, and get on with your life, by Linda Hetzer and Janet Hulstrand.

Unknown to me, Hiromi recently appealed to our sons for consideration for their mother, who has a lot of memories tied up with her possessions.  He's a keeper, that man.

I've often thought that one of the wonderful things about heaven is being free of having to deal with things.  I don't handle such things well naturally, and when I must deal with them somehow, I pray and grit my teeth, and steel my nerves, and try to think and not cry.  It's tough.





0 Comments:

Post a Comment



<< Home