Prairie View

Saturday, December 21, 2013

Fish-eye View

I think I know exactly how a fish feels when it's pulled out from an ice-fishing hole, with a whole new world suddenly spread out in plain sight.  For the fish, though, panic surely ensues, and for me, the panic is all left behind in the world below.  This is the first day of Christmas vacation, after a grueling end to the school semester.

This vacation world and that work world are different in the following ways:

1.  I'm staying in bed beyond 4:00 AM.  True, I did wake up at 5:00 this morning, but I lazily stayed in bed till about 6:30.  Such luxury.  I felt wonderfully rested after about 7 hours of uninterrupted sleep.  My regular getting up time is 5:30.  I couldn't sleep that long, of late, though, and I got up because I was awake anyway, and knew I had lots of work to do.

2.  This morning Hiromi and I worked together to make a breakfast of waffles, bacon, and coffee.  For the past several weeks, Hiromi has usually done breakfast prep solo, while I've been madly finishing up something at the computer or getting dressed or packing my lunch, or making supper preparations.  This, in spite of my regularly getting up almost two hours before Hiromi.

3.  Today I'm actively participating in making plans for Christmas Day with my extended family.  I couldn't think that far before now.

4.  Now I see what needs to be done in my home, and feel eager to get started doing it, instead of "stuffing" that longing, and continuing to live in the midst of clutter, because I've had to hurry on to the next obligation--survival mode here, and other duties outside of home and family.

5.  The freezing rain this morning and the snow predicted for later today and tonight does not inspire dread as it would if I had to drive to school through it.  I'm a little worried, though, at Hiromi's having to go to work this afternoon, coming home after 9:00 PM.

6.  Cooking, which I normally love to do, excites me again, instead of being one more hurdle in already hectic days.

One similarity between work worlds and vacations worlds is the presence of God.  Through all the demands, I find one place of refuge that renews me for whatever awaits.  If my recliner-rocker could tell stories, news of my regular trysts might get out.  I'm not the slightest bit sneaky about the activity that begins there at 5:30 AM, or whenever I first awake, but no one except God sees me.  I like it that way.

Psalm 18:2--The Lord is my rock, and my fortress, and my deliverer; my God, my strength, in Him I will trust; my buckler [shield], and the horn of  my salvation, and my high tower.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



<< Home