Prairie View

Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Hesokuri

I want a new pair of athletic shoes. My current pair can't be properly cleaned anymore. They're fine for gardening and wearing around the house, but they're too dingy to wear away from home.

Hiromi is not convinced. Didn't you just buy a pair of shoes for school? Yes. Were they athletic shoes? No.

So I did the hesokuri (hess-oh-koo-ree) thing, only I didn't know I should call it that till Hiromi told me. I told him I'm trying very hard to acquire the habit of clearing the dining room table completely every evening before I head for bed. (This is a challenge since it's a magnet for all kinds of clutter.) Could I put aside a dollar for that pair of shoes every time I make sure the table is cleared before bed? He thought that was a great idea. He even offered to make sure he regularly had plenty of dollar bills in his billfold.

Today I found a new way to add to my money stash. I innocently asked Hiromi what he had for lunch. I was wondering if that leftover 'Tater Tot casserole was still around. When he chuckled a little guiltily I instantly knew why. "Oh, let me guess. You ate in town when you went grocery shopping." (Yes. Lots of sushi at the City Buffet.)

"Hmmmm. How much did it cost? I think I might put that same amount in my money jar." More chuckles from Hiromi. "Just $6.00. I get a senior citizen's discount."

Today at school Wes talked about paying for the time Norma and I covered for him when he went to Mark G.'s funeral. It feels a little silly to be taking money for that, but Wes seems to think that would be fair. Tonight it occurred to me that I could put that money in the jar also.

***************************

In a college literature class, we read "The Glass Managerie" by Tennessee Williams. (I think I'm remembering this right.) I really can't remember anything of the story except that I was puzzled by what our teacher identified as a childish tactic on the part of the wife in the story. She collected a secret stash of money--to surprise her husband with--to buy something they couldn't afford--I can't remember. I still am not sure what's wrong with that, unless it is part of a pattern of deception and manipulation.

I think my husband is rather proud of me for being as smart as those Japanese women have been for a long time. Thankfully hesokuri does not seem childish to him.

1 Comments:

  • That is a great idea! You aren't doing it behind his back. I think I need to start a fund to paint and redecorate our bedroom.

    By Blogger Dorcas Byler, at 4/01/2010  

Post a Comment



<< Home