Prairie View

Sunday, March 28, 2010

High School Programs

From Facebook:

Lois Mast is thanking the Lord for a good evening of worship, listening to the high school's (Heidi's) final music program! I'm always amazed what Lyle Stutzman can produce with the students. He rearranged four children's songs and taught the congregation a new round also. They sang a hymn from the 1600s and one from the 1980s. ...They sang in Latin, German, and South African. It was all so beautiful!


Carolyn Kurtz
I hope the students know how BLESSED they are! I would have loved to have been a student under that musical direction! What a gift to your school!!

********************************

I don't know Carolyn Kurtz, but I wholeheartedly agree with her and my sister Lois' sentiments.

All year we teachers hear practices in another part of the school/church building, liberally punctuated with laughter and repetition. So it's really wonderful to listen to it after it all comes together, ready for presentation to an audience. I feel like smiling all the way through every program.

The high school choir this year had about 20 students. This included all the enrolled students plus about five homeschooled students. Choir is compulsory for enrolled students, so this group is not a select group of talented students. It is instead, a "regular" group of students who are learning to enjoy singing.

The first of three programs was recorded and can be accessed at centeramishmennonite.org. In that program, the students thought it was not musically as good as some of the later ones, but they felt they sang more energetically the first time than the second time. At the first presentation, I thought they gathered volume and enthusiasm as the program progressed. Maybe it seemed that way because of the varying nature of the selections.

The seventh and eighth graders joined the high school choir for two numbers near the end. The volume increased amazingly when they helped. David Shenk and Holli Nissley were the soloists on "I'm Gonna Sing."

Some of my own high school music experiences were OK, but nothing nearly as uplifting and useful as what is available to students at our school. For more than ten years now, we have had a teacher whose college major was music--Wendell first, and now Lyle. Not only have they had good training, they are passionate about music, and have a lot of God-given natural ability.

Like Carolyn, I hope our students know how blessed they are.

3 Comments:

  • As a student under Wendell, I was very aware of how blessed we were to have a highly trained music teacher! I'm so glad that Pilgrim's good music program continues with Lyle! The program at Center was very enjoyable to listen to.
    ~Marilyn

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3/29/2010  

  • you've had a music teacher whose college major was music for 10 minus 2 years.

    By Blogger Jolynn, at 4/01/2010  

  • You're right, of course. I guess you can tell I wasn't considering those two years a musical waste of time. (You're probably also remembering my all-too-frequent memory deficits. I really did forget that 2-year interval for the moment. Sigh.) I heard some really good and joyous singing during that time too--not just during music class, and I think our students would agree that they learned a lot.

    By Blogger Mrs. I, at 4/01/2010  

Post a Comment



<< Home