Prairie View

Saturday, October 11, 2008

Quote for the Day 10/11/2008

Shane (on the phone) : Hi Mom. I'm on the road here and trying to keep my brain exercised, and I need a few more words on this crossword puzzle. Can you tell me a five-letter word that starts with "s" and ends in "le?" It means to move in a lateral direction.

Me: Scale?

Shane: Wouldn't that mean moving in a vertical direction?

Me: Oh yeah. . . . Let's see. . . . Sidle!

Shane: That makes the "d" fit with "og," a word meaning to pursue relentlessly. Dog. Oh sure. Well thanks. That finishes it up.

Me: Where are you?

Shane: Oh, about an hour east of St. Louis.

Me: When is Chad's wedding? (Chad is Shane's friend and second cousin.)

Shane: Tomorrow afternoon.

Me: Where are you staying?

Shane: Josh is hosting us at Matt's house.

The original plan went slightly awry when Shane finally got around to asking his aunt and uncle if he and Dorcas could stay with them in Columbus when they arrive for the wedding, and they regretfully told him they were planning to be gone to Michigan this weekend. Their oldest son Josh, who no longer lives with his parents, came "home" for the weekend to act as host, making it possible for Shane and Dorcas to stay at the house after all.

I sincerely hope Shane was not at the wheel during this conversation. There were at least four in the car, and the car wasn't his, so I there's a good chance either Lavent or Marilyn was driving.

*****************************
In response to an invitation from Marvin and Lois to cast members from "The Hiding Place," for Sunday dinner--

Cast Member : I know about Mennonite cooking. I'll be there.

*****************************

Dad: I got hold of K________ M________ and had a nice conversation, but he didn't feel free to give me his brothers' phone numbers. I would have to talk to them to work anything out. I know the city and state where they live. Could you find their phone numbers on the internet?

I couldn't, not even by paying $2.95 on PersonLookUp. Does anyone have any further ideas on how to get the phone number of a person whose name you know, and whose city and state you know, but who apparently has an unlisted phone number? One lives in Kansas and one in Nebraska.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



<< Home