Prairie View

Thursday, September 25, 2008

Quote for the Day 9/25/2008

Dad (peering intently at his own notes last night while conducting devotions at church) : Sometimes I have trouble reading this man's writing.

He is 81 and still in good health and sound of mind, and capable of eloquence. But that handwriting--Well, it was never great and hasn't improved with age.

I reflected afterward on some of the recurring themes in Dad's speaking and writing:

"God has not sentenced us to failure."
"We don't have a monopoly on truth."
"History would teach us. . . ."
"Truth is bigger than we are."
"It is not up to us to decide what the Bible means. We are to discover what it means."
"The person who is truly free has become the slave of a Perfect Master."

He also has thought and spoken often on--

The Centrality of Christ
Christian Liberty
Giving a Witness (With regard to the government, in addition to praying, paying, and obeying)

Many of my readers have often heard "David L." speak. What would you add to the list?

3 Comments:

  • Our Gracious Heavenly Father, as we bow in your sacred presence we do so with gratitude....
    or something like that!

    By Blogger Unknown, at 9/25/2008  

  • "I think the eleventh commandment would be 'be thou balanced.'"
    (I believe that was David L. Not sure.)

    By Blogger Dorcas, at 9/26/2008  

  • I am not sure if this counts or not, but I took a missions class under "David L." at CBS (94). The only direct quote I remember was "Isabella Bank" (sp?). :)

    By Blogger Kris, at 9/28/2008  

Post a Comment



<< Home