Prairie View

Thursday, October 23, 2008

A Pro-Life Position

Several weeks ago in our Sunday School discussion someone made a peripheral reference to the pro-life activities conducted on the fringes of the Democratic convention in Denver as a protest against the pro-choice (a.k.a. pro-abortion) stance of many of the Democratic party members present. Whereupon my father reminded everyone that neither party is as pro-life as Christians ought to be. He finished by saying that being pro-military is not being pro-life either.

Precisely.

My simmering stew of thoughts on this subject just now has come to a full boil since reading an article in Soujourners magazine today (“The Meaning of Life,” by Jim Rice and Jeannie Choi, Nov. 2008) . I’ve felt for a long time that while it’s easy to see the rightness of being pro-life and pro-family, many of the other positions supported by the party most solidly in this camp look very unrighteous when held up to the scrutiny of Scripture. I wondered why people so often miss this obvious circumstance. This isn’t shocking to anyone who expects the political process to operate outside the realm of Christian standards of behavior. This is exactly what a person with a clear two-kingdom concept of spiritual and earthly realities would expect to see. The problem occurs when party loyalty obscures the very real compromises of Scripture that may be present in what a given party stands for. Tragically, being caught up in party loyalties has an opportunity cost when good and right causes can not be enthusiastically supported because they are part of the “wrong” party’s platform.

I was surprised today when I realized how neatly many of the ideals that I hold dear have a pro-life stance at the center. It’s more clear to me than ever that that pro-life stance cannot be safely compromised. What has apparently surprised many Evangelicals recently is that these pro-life ideals can be found all over the political map. According to the Sojourner article, Christian people have come to see that creation care, health care, poverty alleviation, a peace position, and treating all humans with dignity are all pro-life positions. I see freedom in Christ through the new birth as the only pro-eternal-life hope available. People who have come to see these things often no longer see as clearly as before how Christians ought to vote. Sometimes they are even ashamed of their past political persuasions and involvements.

Here is an example of how inter-related some of these things are: Imagine a place where the natural environment has become so exploited and polluted that the water is not safe to drink and the soil is not fertile enough to grow crops. Yet people live in this place. The economic situation deteriorates and people become destitute. Babies born in these places can not be properly nourished or cared for. Their parents can not afford health care. People begin to quarrel over scarce resources, and war further decimates the land and causes suffering. Desperate parents sometimes sell their children into involuntary servitude. Women sell their bodies and often thereby provide a vehicle for the spread of disease. Death stalks life on many levels.

Christians are collectively called to do good to others. Individuals answer this call in a variety of life-affirming ways. You may find some of these people in the company of others with a variety of political persuasions. You will assuredly find many of them so busy with the business of seeking God and affirming life that they have no time for activism in the political process. They may have nothing at all to contribute to political discussions.

When God said in Deuteronomy 30:19 “. . . I have set before you life and death . . . therefore choose life . . . ” he was not issuing a political party invitation. That would have been far inferior to what God was offering instead–an ongoing relationship with Himself and blessing for those who love, obey and cling to Him.

In all its varied expressions, to choose life is the way of Christ, whether or not it is politically expedient.

9 Comments:

  • I've been thinking along some of these lines, too, the last weeks. I believe it is a grievous sin to take the life of an innocent baby. But how can a pro-life, non-resistant Christian conscientiously vote for (enable if you please) the commander-in-chief of the armed forces in our country, no matter how "good" his views may be on some issues?

    Linda Rose

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10/24/2008  

  • Well said.

    By Blogger Kathy Beachy, at 10/25/2008  

  • I agree. Neither party will bring redemption to America and neither party has a monopoly on truth and moral issues.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10/27/2008  

  • FWIW, a few perspectives on voting that generally recognize the primacy of the Kingdom of Heaven, but approach our duty to "our" country as the complex issue that it is. "International Challenge", while perhaps simplistic in its conclusions, does make an interesting point from Jer. 29: Israel was to work for the good of the pagan nation in which they found themselves, even as they looked toward a coming "redemption". I've included a relevant excerpt from Jeremiah 29 below. First, though, the links:

    Voting As Damage Control
    Advise Everyone...Endorse No One
    My Personal 'Faith Priorities' for this Election
    An International Challenge for Christians To Vote

    ========
    Jeremiah 29:4-14
    4 This is what the LORD Almighty, the God of Israel, says to all those I carried into exile from Jerusalem to Babylon: 5 "Build houses and settle down; plant gardens and eat what they produce. 6 Marry and have sons and daughters; find wives for your sons and give your daughters in marriage, so that they too may have sons and daughters. Increase in number there; do not decrease. 7 Also, seek the peace and prosperity of the city to which I have carried you into exile. Pray to the LORD for it, because if it prospers, you too will prosper." 8 Yes, this is what the LORD Almighty, the God of Israel, says: "Do not let the prophets and diviners among you deceive you. Do not listen to the dreams you encourage them to have. 9 They are prophesying lies to you in my name. I have not sent them," declares the LORD.

    10 This is what the LORD says: "When seventy years are completed for Babylon, I will come to you and fulfill my gracious promise to bring you back to this place. 11 For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. 12 Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. 13 You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart. 14 I will be found by you," declares the LORD, "and will bring you back from captivity. I will gather you from all the nations and places where I have banished you," declares the LORD, "and will bring you back to the place from which I carried you into exile."
    ========

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10/31/2008  

  • The reason a pro-life/pro-military position is compatible is because of God's plan for government laid out in Romans 13. The government is given (at least) two responsibilities, which are quite interlinked: One is to punish the evildoer with the sword. The other is to carry out justice.

    (The Bible clearly says that the penalty for sin is death. It is striking then that abortion is indeed the *only* completely injust taking of life--the taking of the life of someone who has not yet sinned. Every person the government does not execute is mercy, because all have sinned.)

    But even if you don't agree (depends on your theology of original sin or a host of other things) with the previous parenthetical comment, I think it's clear from a common-sense perspective that many military operations punish the evildoer while killing babies does not.

    Thus, I am not against a government that punishes the evildoer with violence. To do so is, I believe, to oppose God's plan. I am against government perverting justice by not protecting the good and the innocent (per Rom. 13). I am against this on the basis of God's stated goal for government.

    The caveat with the former is, of course, that I believe that I as a believer in Christ have been issued commands that prevent me from carrying out the military plans of God. Just like when God used evil, pagan nations in the OT to carry out his military plans, in the same way today, God using them does not condone me joining them.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11/06/2008  

  • To Hans--So that's how the reasoning goes. Thanks for not lobbing salvos from the woodwork.

    By Blogger Mrs. I, at 11/07/2008  

  • Mrs. I, your first sentence indicates skepticism. I'm curious what alternative you would propose? Anarchy? For myself, I kind of think God's plan is kinda wise.

    As for your second sentence, I'm not sure if I follow you. I'm not sure if it's sincere or sarcastic.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11/07/2008  

  • I think you make some valid points, but I don't see it as being quite as neat as you seem to. I don't, for example, think that my view proposes an alternative to God's plan or that your view of God's plan is the only valid one. By not weighting in immediately with more details, I hoped to give myself more time to develop a thoughtful response and to give other readers a chance to respond to either or both of us for what we've already written. But I wanted to acknowledge your response in some way right away. So yes, the first sentence indicates skepticism, but is not meant to be the end of the conversation.

    BTW, welcome home. Can't believe it's been this long and we haven't seen you.

    In the second sentence I meant to convey sincere appreciation for your being open about your identity in voicing disagreement. (It didn't come from nowhere, i.e. "out of the woodwork.") I am a big fan of putting everything on the table in plain sight for all to examine. Also, the reference to a "salvo" was meant to recognize that you registered substantive disagreement, but "not launching a salvo" implied that it was not necessarily a destructive expression.

    Wow. Two paragraphs explaining two sentences. I'm getting almost as good at this as what I sometimes read on MennoDiscuss. Sheesh.

    By Blogger Mrs. I, at 11/07/2008  

  • Let him have it, Mrs. I!!!!! The little right-wing Mennonite blogger!!!!

    :)

    :)

    Speaking of MD, there is a PM there that you haven't picked up.

    By Blogger michael, at 11/07/2008  

Post a Comment



<< Home