Prairie View

Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Banal Post

The data collection program that tracks activity on this blog has now noted hits from 30 different countries since the statistics started accumulating in April 2008.

The most popular posts that are accessed through a Google subject or keyword search are the ones on how to make amazaki and treating a sick gerbil. Fancy that! The internet pickings on these subjects must be slim.

Other statistics: Every month between April and August saw increased traffic on this blog. In August, there were more than 2500 page loads--probably because all Shane and Dorcas' friends checked in for wedding news. September was down to 2200. I don't seek comparisons with other people's statistics. Focusing on that would probably be humiliating--not particularly useful, in any case.

Sometimes I wish I knew who all reads this blog and at other times I'm glad I don't know. I'm braver (and perhaps more foolish) for not knowing. For the most part though, I love to hear from people who comment, either on the blog or directly to me. Incidental anonymity bothers only the curious bones in my body, but I am not comfortable with all kinds of anonymous comments.

I switched some time ago to moderating all the comments. That simply means that no comment gets posted unless I give permission for it to be posted. I started doing this after I encountered some spam comments from people who probably generate these comments by the thousands in order to advertise their own websites. So far I have posted every comment anyone has made, I believe. Sometimes when a person makes a correction, I have wondered if it would be wiser to simply correct the error and omit the comment, but so far I haven't done so. I do appreciate corrections, and usually they've prompted a "Duh. I knew that. What was I thinking?" inner response. Sometimes I post a comment to that effect, but often I let it go. I know I'll never get everything perfect and it's OK if the rest of the world sees my imperfections unaccompanied by a defense from me.

I'm really annoyed by having to read "beating around the bush" kinds of writing, so I have a strong motivation to be as specific and clear in my writing as I can be, complete with names and dates and places. This urge often collides head-on, however, with the need to protect the identity of people who may not wish to have their names flung into cyberspace. I also have a powerful motivation to learn from life and to share what I learn. That sometimes means looking at unsavory aspects of reality, and people can be very touchy about such things. That presents a dilemma.

When I think too long about these conflicts I realize that a very simple solution would be to not write at all. That is the option I chose for many years, not so much then because of all the conflicts, but because of all the hassle with the mechanics of getting words on paper, submitting them to an editor, and waiting for a yea or nay on publication, or perhaps seeing it altered in ways that make me cringe.

Blogging is a godsend for the driven-to-write among us. And I love that my critics are my readers rather than editors who can keep writing from ever reaching any readers. Editors do, of course, have a legitimate function, and I have a new appreciation for them every time I read a self-published book that is too wordy, too repetitious, or too something-else.

I also love that absolutely no one has to read this or any other blog. It's not like a textbook that students have to read to pass a class, or a phone call that an office helper must answer. That knowledge gives me a lot of freedom to write as I wish. Anyone who doesn't like being on this site needs simply to press one button and the offensive material disappears from the screen. They're happy that way, and I'm not offended, even if I suspect when I post banal posts like this one that a lot of people will do just that.

4 Comments:

  • Hello 'Sister Miriam', I stumbled across your blog about a month ago and have been checking it since then as time permits. I was especially interested to see what you wrote about the Maranatha School cookbook. I was the only Amish girl that you taught at that school, if my memory serves me right. I'll be back another time. Have a good day, Frieda

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10/22/2008  

  • Thanks so much for writing. I remember you ever so well, at least the way you looked when you were an adolescent. Hearing from you made my day. I hope we have a chance to meet again soon.

    By Blogger Mrs. I, at 10/22/2008  

  • Enjoy reading your comments about home and life in general... thanks! rhoda, nyc

    By Blogger rowtifer, at 10/22/2008  

  • Banal?? Not IMHO.

    Yes! to the last two paragraphs especially.

    By Blogger Dorcas, at 10/24/2008  

Post a Comment



<< Home