Prairie View

Thursday, June 05, 2008

More Tornadoes?

The weather hazard level report for this evening reads like this:

VERY SIGNIFICANT RISK OR IMPACT. Could potentially injure and/or kill the most people and/or result in catastrophic property and economic damage.

The weather story text says: A severe weather outbreak is anticipated this afternoon through tonight across the central/southern plains and portions of the midwest. Very large hail, damaging winds and the potential for a few strong/long-lived tornadoes will be possible. Storms will move rapidly to the northeast at around 50 mph.

Not good. Downright scary, in fact. We are squarely in the center of the "red" area on the weather maps, where the most severe weather is likely. In the southwest, things already look sinister. I want to say to God, or to anyone listening "Enough already," loud and clear, but it comes out like a whimper. No hint of authority, because I know I have no authority. I cling to the only right I have--the right of petition.

I came by a field today where Grant was raking hay for Jared. The hay was beautifully green, and I breathed a prayer that they'd be able to get it baled before the storm arrives. Now, I suspect that rained-on hay may be the least of all our worries before this is all past. The wheat is ripening--a beautiful crop so far, but more than once I've seen fully ripened wheat pounded into the ground by a hailstorm at harvest time.

I just returned from town where I had called at the funeral home and then stopped at the library. Everywhere people talked about the wind and the storms slated for tonight.

I picked up two books at the library. One of them is Porch Talk. I'm taking it to the basement fruit room with me tonight when we need to take cover underground. It's large print, so I think I could even read it by candlelight. It should help take all our minds off whatever is happening outside.

Joel just reported that northwestern Reno County has a tornado warning now. I think I have more urgent things to do than continue this post.

Pray for us.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



<< Home