Prairie View

Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Aunt Mary's Death

Victor's grandmother died in Kalona, Iowa, so he and I and my parents are going there for the funeral on Friday. She was my aunt by marriage--Mary, Mrs. Earl Beachy.

I feel wistful about not having known Mary better. My mother always spoke well of her as a very capable and creative woman. Ervin R. Stutzman, who spent time in Earl and Mary's home while researching his father's life for writing the book Tobias of the Amish, described her and her husband as very gracious people. That's how I remember both Earl and Mary.

My mother spoke also of Mary's mother, Sybil "Sippy" Bender. I vaguely remember seeing her when we visited Uncle Earl's family. Sippy was a widow who had lived in Oklahoma earlier. I don't know what all I heard about her, but I got the impression she was a "survivor" and an interesting character.

Morris is Earl and Mary's youngest child. He has Down Syndrome. I wonder how he will adjust to his mother's absence. I'm told that recently his family moved him to an upstairs bedroom, perhaps because his mother needed to be cared for in a separate room on the main floor, and his room was re-purposed. During the night his parents woke to unusual noises and discovered Morris moving his things back downstairs. Change is often especially difficult for individuals with Down Syndrome. I sympathize with Morris and his caregivers.

I checked the weather prediction for Kalona on the day of the funeral: 80% chance of heavy rain, following a night of 90% chance of heavy rain. I'm packing an umbrella, although I'll probably be too embarrassed to unfurl it if it ends up being the only bright spot in a crowd of black hats and bonnets. I'm also taking along my old Sunday shoes in case the terrain looks too formidably muddy to risk my newer pair at the cemetery.

I'm taking along two editing projects to work on en route--the church history project my students have been working on, and one for Hiromi. I'm also taking a CD by David Bercot and a book for educators on principles of design for educational institutions, with a focus on encouraging students to interact with the natural environment.

My parents and I plan to stay at the home of Uncle Joe and Aunt Mary. Mary is my dad's sister and Joe is my mom's brother.

I'm not a worrier by nature, but when I undertake a trip by myself I always wonder fleetingly what if I don't return--because of a car accident, for example. But I usually end up acting as though I will return as usual, and so far I always have. These thoughts are a reminder that our times are in God's hand, and we do well to commit our ways to him, living mindfully each day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



<< Home