Prairie View

Sunday, May 11, 2008

Quote for the Day 5/11/2008

Judy: Dad, have I ever told you what Leanna [Hershberger] says about you?

Dad: No. I don't think so.

Judy: She says she wishes you would just live forever.

Dad: Tell her I've got plans. . . .

************************************************

Leanna H. (to Betty, her daughter's single teacher): Happy Mother's Day!

She went on to explain that she had been reading the thoughts of a person who had traveled in Italy and observed the marked difference in the way adults there related to children, compared to the typical American way. There, all the adults take much more responsibility for all the children. The author concluded that what she saw in Italy was a good thing, and asserted that American children also need "many mothers." It was another way of saying that children benefit from non-parent help toward maturity. Leanna was wishing Betty "Happy Mother's Day" in that context, as one who fills a nurturing role in her daughter's life--one of the many "mothers" she needs.

I know there is a place for emphasizing parental responsibility, but I liked Leanna's perspective.

**************************************************************

Joseph (age 9, on his way past the scene of the wedding invitation "operation" today) : That looks boring. Let's go get some pie.

**************************************************************

Marvin: Diana, what kind of pie shall I get for you?

Diana (age 6) : Chocolate, because that's the only kind that's left.

Later, Marvin, who was waiting on Lois, came and retrieved the half piece of peanut butter pie she had said she was too full to eat. On his way back to the kitchen where he intended to sit down to eat this piece of pie--

Diana: You could put that pie over by the other pies. . . .

Rhoda (Diana's mother) : I apologize on her behalf.

**********************************************************

Family member (over the noon meal): Rhoda, this is good bread. Did you bake it?

Rhoda: I brought it, but it came from Carolyn's [a restaurant]. I wanted to make hot rolls, but it's been a long time since I made them, so I prayed that they would be good. I forgot to pray though that they would look nice too. They are good, but they sure didn't look nice. I was too proud to bring those sorry looking hot rolls, so I quickly dashed to Carolyn's before she closed to get this bread.

*********************************************************

Lois: I wish I had pictures here of Dorcas [our sister from Virginia who lost her hair while undergoing chemotherapy]. She looks so good now that her hair is coming back. It's not quite as gray as it was, and it's curly.

2 Comments:

  • Wish we could have been there!!

    By Blogger Dorcas Byler, at 5/12/2008  

  • Interesting. I just saw my SIL Barb over the weekend and she mentioned seeing Dorcas B. and her charming gray curly hair.

    By Blogger Dorcas, at 5/12/2008  

Post a Comment



<< Home