Prairie View

Sunday, May 11, 2008

A Family Sunday

Today was a very nice day. The weather was nearly perfect and it was filled with warm fuzzy family times, in church and afterwards.

My sister Lois and her husband, and their three oldest children all were taken in as members in our church. Afterwards there was a special prayer of dedication for their oldest son, who is headed for the Middle East for about six months.

My brother Ronald's family, who lives about three hours away, also spent last night and today in this area. Ronald preached this morning.

My brother Myron's family attended our church today also. They usually attend a neighboring church.

We all got together for a family dinner at Marvin's roomy, empty-for-now house. After prayer, the wives all found a place at one of the tables, and the husbands all brought filled plates for their wives, and continued to wait on them hand and foot throughout the meal. I had hardly had time to think about it being Mother's Day, although Shane had remembered to wish me a Happy Mother's Day before he left for the service at Bob Johnson's (Detention Center). But, far worse, I had totally forgotten that it was Hiromi's birthday till someone started singing "Happy Birthday" for him after the noon time prayer. I apologized later to him for forgetting and I will certainly try to make amends. I think it's usually husbands who commit faux pas like this, and wives who have a hard time forgiving them. Hiromi seems unperturbed.

This evening Dorcas gave me a Mother's Day card. She said she knows I'm not quite her mother yet, but she expressed some warm sentiments anyway, looking ahead to good times together in the future. I love it!

The young people washed the dishes. I think they were having a good time, singing part of the time.

After the dishes were cleared away, we helped Shane and Dorcas get their wedding invitations ready to mail. That was quite a project! It took several hours of work for Dad, Linda, me, Judy, Hannah, Christy, Rhoda, Lois, Heidi, Kristi, Brenda, Megan, Melissa, and Shane and Dorcas. I can't imagine Shane and Dorcas having had to tackle that by themselves.

Hannah is 16 now and went to the young people's singing tonight for the first time. Her friend Eunice (after checking to see if I was Mrs. I or Miriam--Miriam is fine.) gave me a message for Grant. He was not under any circumstances to take Hannah home tonight because they were planning a special event to welcome her. I didn't quite catch what it was.

This is a quiet Sunday evening. At least it was till Hiromi announced that he couldn't stand the quiet and proceeded to play a recording of the Duttons of Branson. I don't think it was any improvement on silence. But that's just me, I suppose.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



<< Home