Prairie View

Thursday, April 24, 2008

Quotes for the Day 4/24/2008

Ida: (After telling me what she needed, and then waiting while I dealt with interruptions) Do I need something more or am I just standing here?

Me: I'll give you those study guides and quizzes you were asking about.

Ida: Oh yeah. That's what I wanted.

*********************************

Jared (to Kenneth, who was eying a spot on the table top near where he had eaten lunch): Kenneth, don't you dare wipe that up. Gotta leave something for the table wiper to do.

Student: It's David's job (Kenneth's brother).

Me (to Kenneth who then proceeded to dump out the chip crumbs from his bag onto the table top): Kenneth, I can't believe you would do that. It's so immature.

Ryan: I can. That's why I believe he'd do it--because he's so immature.

Steven: Kenneth, if you do that I'll report you to the drug lords. Don't you know they have body piercing weapons?

Me (holding up the fork I was eating with): This could be a body piercing weapon.

Kenneth: One of my brothers has a scar on the back of his hand from that.

Jared: Who did it? Was it David?

Kenneth: He was involved, but he was the victim.

Student: Was it Tim?

(Kenneth equivocates.)

Student: We can ask David. He'd be glad to tell us.

Kenneth: It was Tim.

***********************************************

In typing class, with the windows wide open during a rainy day, after the wind began to pick up:

Emily: I felt a raindrop. You may think that's crazy, but I really felt it.

Seth: Sometimes you're riding along in a car and you can feel the rain. . .

Emily: Seth, I think you need a new car.

************************************

Student (referring to something on the computer screen): Why would they jump with eagerness at the noise of rumors?

************************************

Jacob: I'm about ready to throw away my math pace. I think I've worked every problem in there about six times.

I guess I'll have to get Mr. Schrock to explain it all over again.

Kevin: What you do is work it and write something down and then go to the scoring station and see what the right answer is. Then you try to remember it and work it as many times as you have to, till you get that answer.

I don't think this is how our cleverly-designed, individualized, programmed-instruction curriculum is supposed to work.

****************************

This year's typing class is blazing along faster than any I've ever taught. I promised them a party if anyone gets to 100 adjusted words per minute before the end of the school year. We have two weeks and two days left. Two days ago Holli's score was 96 wpm.

Today, I sweetened the deal by promising them a party if all of them got at least 60 wpm. They are all within 5 wpm, including Heidi, who joined the class nine weeks after school started, as soon as they moved to Kansas.

The current class average is 75.5 wpm.

**********************************

The saga of "Strange School Days" continues. Night school is several weeks in the past, and "outdoor school" is two days in the past, but day after tomorrow we have "Saturday school." This unfortunate necessity was forced upon us when Mr. Schrock did a careful count of the number of school days we had this year and found that we were one day under the minimum required by state law.

We always build several extra days into the calendar in case we need snow days. We used three days this year, the exact number we thought were "extra." Did we plan on teacher work days counting as school days? How do other schools count this?

**********************************

Mr. Schrock ( to me): I need to ask you about something. . . . Uh, there are some girls in the restroom. . . .

(I'm trying to figure out where this conversation is going.) Just then Frieda and Sheila, who were late getting to their desks after the bell, walked up from the direction of the restroom.

Frieda: She spilled coffee on her dress and I was helping her clean it up.

Mr. Schrock (grinning): The activities were quite audible out here.

Embarrassed gasps from the girls.

******************************

David Yutzy (to Grant, who had gone to answer the door during supper. David was holding out a plastic bag with something in it.): Last year your Mom said she likes these, so I brought you some.

Grant: Oh. Mushrooms! Where did you get them?

David: Oh somewhere. (Looking beyond Grant to me) You might have to soak them in salt water, unless you don't mind a few bugs.

Me: Thank you. This looks wonderful.

It was a nice "mess" of morel mushrooms, the kind I used to look for in the woodlands of Ohio, and have never seen in Kansas. David, who moved here with his parental family about four years ago, must know something I don't know, and he's obviously not telling. But with that kind of generosity, I'm not going to fault him one bit. Rest assured, if I had found them myself, I would not have thought of sharing them with David. He's definitely my hero for the day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



<< Home