Prairie View

Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Basketball Champions

If you don't live in Kansas, you may have missed the fact that the University of Kansas is now the reigning national college basketball champion. I'm afraid I might have missed the development of this bit of drama till I opened this morning's paper, except for sons and students who sometimes talk about such things in my hearing.

The championship game was apparently a nail-biter. Kansas was ahead by just a bit at halftime, and then soon fell nine points behind, due to a 14-point scoring streak by a Memphis player. Things did not look good for Kansas. The Kansas team's strategy turned to fouling the other team whenever they had a chance. Memphis already had a reputation for poor free throw hits, and their scoring slowed down. Kansas crept up from behind, sometimes only one free throw at a time, but they were still nine points behind with two minutes of playing time left. Then, with 2.1 seconds left on the clock, still three points behind, a Kansas player made a three-point shot to tie the score and force the game into an overtime.

During the 5-minute overtime, Kansas pulled ahead to a 75-68 win.

This is likely to be the only post on college basketball you will ever read here. I did not watch the game, but confess to having checked the score periodically on the internet.

I hope I didn't write anything that makes it too obvious that I am really far out of touch with the sports world of mania and passion--most of it misguided, in my humble opinion. But since someone had to win that championship, I think it's nice it was Kansas.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



<< Home