Prairie View

Saturday, April 05, 2008

Night School--Part 4

Lest anyone get the idea that anarchy reigned and the students had their way in everything, I should tell you about the ideas we said no to.

"May we take off our shoes?"

"No."

"May we have an armed-intruder drill?"

"We considered it, but Mr. Schrock decided that doing that in the dark would be too chaotic."

"May we go to the kitchen and hang out?" This was after typing class was over, and they preferred the kitchen to the learning center as the next destination.

"No."

This is my list. I don't know what all Mr. Schrock might add.

I didn't learn about one funny misadventure till it was all over. We missed Ryan at dismissal time and decided to go on without him. He was at that very moment lying in the dark in the janitor's room, bound and gagged, and waiting to be "discovered" by girls in search of cleaning supplies for the Friday cleaning jobs that commenced at 12:30 AM.

The first snafu occurred when the door locked behind the students who did the tying up. So they had to ask Mr. Schrock for a key to open the door to the janitor's room. It happened twice. Then, the girls experienced an unexpected provision of cleaning supplies elsewhere--in the kitchen, bathrooms, etc., and none of the girls had any need to go to the church janitor's room. Somehow someone caught wind of the plan and then, for sure, none of the girls were going anywhere near the janitor's room. Poor Ryan. Released with no further drama.

I left school at 1:31 AM. When I pulled into the driveway at home, all the parking spaces next to the house were taken by the four vehicles owned by other family members. I had to park my minivan in the nether regions. That never happens--that I get home after the whole family is asleep in bed.

This once, I'm asking for a pass on coming home at an unreasonable hour. When duty calls, I must answer. But what a fun duty it was.

1 Comments:

  • Sounds like you had a good night of school! Thanks for all the reports! I enjoyed it!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4/05/2008  

Post a Comment



<< Home