Prairie View

Monday, March 24, 2008

A Wedding Suit

With no prior arrangement or premeditation, I got in on Shane's shopping for wedding clothes. After Hiromi and I and Shane and Dorcas enjoyed Asian food together, Hiromi went to a Remnant of Israel service in Wichita, and I caught a ride home with Shane and Dorcas. They hadn't quite gotten all their shopping done ahead of mealtime, so I tagged along with them afterwards. He bought a suit on Friday since Easter sales are a great time for finding good prices on dress up clothes.

He showed me two he had looked at earlier and asked my opinion. That was nice of him.

"I like this one better. It's less sheckich [patterned]. More Amish." He looked at me sideways.

Shane's commentary on the suit went something like this:

"This is a three-button one. I thought maybe it came together high enough up in the front that no one would notice if we didn't neuter it." Another sideways look.

"It's a crime to ruin perfectly good suits like that. Who does that anyway, and how much does it cost? None of these suits have the same material on the underside of the collar like you said I should get. Does that make it too hard to do?"

"I tried on the pants. They were 32's, and that's my size, but they didn't look so good over the backside. The 34's are just right. I guess I'm still growing." (Affected voice on the last sentence.)

Neutering. I can't believe I never thought of calling suit conversions that.

1 Comments:

  • When my sister got married to one who never even heard of Amish or Mennonite, he picked out the tuxedos. And...gasp...they were "neutered". We had to give him a good ribbing about being Amish at heart.

    Check them out at the following link. I think they are called, fly front banded. No alterations! But I'm sure the prices reflect...

    http://www.menswearhouse.com/tuxedos/browse.jsp?n1=Tuxedos&n2=Rent+Your+Tux&n3=Tuxedos&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=1408474395562588&bmUID=1206563117553

    By Blogger espĂ­ritu paz, at 3/26/2008  

Post a Comment



<< Home