Prairie View

Thursday, April 10, 2008

Quote for the Day 4/10/2008

In typing class:

Seth: Why is everyone so quiet today?

No answer. Only silence.

**********************************

Heidi (Playing the Far-Off Adventure Typing [I hope] Game): I made it! That's the first time I made it!

Seth: That's what you say every time you make it.

Heidi: No. This is the first time.

Emily: No. You've made it before. Remember. . . .? (I forget how this ended.)

Heidi: Oh yeah. I remember now. So this is the second time.

Seth: No. You've made it more often than that. You always say it's the first time.

Lesson: Getting first-time-thrill euphoria repeatedly is a benefit of forgetfulness.

*****************************

Mr. Schrock (to Elaine and Emily): You'll have to convince Mrs. I. This isn't my department. I'm off to class. It doesn't seem wise to me though.

Oh. I didn't see you. (to me, behind him)

Elaine (to Emily): I think we'll need to get a Reese's Cup ready before we ask. Maybe we'll have to borrow some of Heidi's chocolate.

Emily (to Elaine): I think I'd better stay inside.

Emily (to me): Elaine wants to know if she can go outside to study.

Me: Are you on "E?"

Elaine: No. If I were, I wouldn't have to ask.

Me: Oh. Good point.

It doesn't seem wise to me. It's cold and cloudy and wet and windy.

I think Elaine is one of those people that thinks rainy days are wonderful, even when it's already rained to the point of runoff--in pancake-flat country. Seth, Emily, and Ryan apparently harbor a similar attitude. The three of them were circling the building on the sidewalk during first break when it was raining--Seth gallantly holding a single umbrella for all three of them.

********************************

At ten till twelve, after hearing a lot of conversation in the kitchen:

Me (Opening the kitchen door): Whoever is on "E" privilege or is assigned the lunch-heating job today is welcome to be here. The rest of you are not welcome to be here.

Four sheepish-looking students filed out to their desks in the learning center.

I made the same speech yesterday. I think tomorrow I'll take the merit/demerit sheet with me when I head for the kitchen.

Tuesday's lethargic student group, still recovering from the three-day weekend and the energy expenditure of the KU basketball game, is definitely gone. In some ways the lethargy was easier to deal with. But it wasn't much fun.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



<< Home