Prairie View

Tuesday, January 28, 2020

Poetic Thoughts in a Drill-Sergeant World

Huascar Medina, 37, is the current Poet Laureate for the state of Kansas.  I heard him read some of his poetry last Saturday.  His humble, unassuming manner inspired confidence, and I loved being able to hear his poetry "in context."  The poems are liberally sprinkled with Spanish terms and expressions, so hearing explanations for the Spanish vocabulary was another valuable part of hearing the poet read his own work.

The context that is most memorable for me is Medina's immigrant experience.  He came to Kansas from Puerto Rico where he was born and where he lived during his childhood.  In between, as a youth, he lived in San Antonio, TX.  After graduating from high school there he moved to Topeka, KS where his mother ended up after his parents divorced.  Among other things, his poetry articulates his quest for finding a place of belonging in Kansas.

Huascar Medina's self-identity as an immigrant (actually he prefers the term "New American") comes with a twist since he is a U.S. citizen by virtue of having been born in Puerto Rico.  As such, he is not in danger of being deported, despite experiencing many more "alien" feelings than have some of his DACA/Dreamer friends who came to the US as young children--and now face an angst-filled future.

Here and there I noted connecting points with Medina's life.  He is the age of our oldest son.  Our family knows something about the immigrant experience because Hiromi, the husband and father in our home, is an immigrant.  Huascar is part of a racial/ethnic minority.  I am part of a religious/ethnic minority.  None of this, however, was as emotionally powerful for me as were his words when he talked about his truth and his life having become politicized.  When he provided that simple bit of context, I knew exactly what he meant because I've experienced it too.

Especially now, since Medina has a role in which he represents all Kansans, he is very mindful of avoiding political content in his poetry.  In spite of that, someone accused him of "being political" in his writing.  Huascar responded to the accusation by saying something like this:  "This is my life and this is my truth.  Others have politicized my life and my truth."  That's exactly how I sometimes feel when I express what is part of  my life and my "truth."  I thanked Huascar personally for giving me "a little more courage" to go on believing and living and speaking in ways that have for a long time been part of who I am and what I believe, even though some of those things are now almost inevitably viewed by some listeners/readers through a political lens.  I am not at peace with this reality, and sometimes feel wounded by the accusations. 

Medina mused aloud that he should have engaged his critic further by asking questions, and noted wryly that he's prepared now for the next time something similar happens.  Yeah.  Me too--on thinking of the right thing to do--too late.

I can't remember exactly what Medina said that reminded me of this, but the idea resonated with me that some of what one says experimentally is too often misunderstood.  What I identify (and might share publicly even) as one piece of a puzzle that I'm still trying to find all the pieces for apparently sometimes looks to others like a pointing, scolding finger in front of a scowling face betraying an ossified brain and an ice-hard soul.  No.  It's just an idea that seems to have enough merit to spend a little more time with.  If others can help me figure things out, so much the better.  I'm more inclined to share something when I think it offers a different perspective from the usual--especially if the usual seems to me to be one-sided or deficient in some way.   I love when the experimental perspective comes from someone who has had opportunities to observe and learn and serve in ways and places that will never be accessible to me.  I value the opportunity to learn from such people, even though I seldom find everything in a single presentation beneficial.   

One of the Leadership Reno County facilitators often signs off his communications with this admonition:  "Stay curious."  I'm trying.

Huascar Medina's father served in the military as a drill sergeant and he brought his work home in raising his children.  Huascar was an introverted child who often felt slightly out of sync with those around him (he noted that he neither speaks perfect Spanish nor perfect English). At a very young age, he began to write poetry.  In that quiet world of words he felt safe.

Being curious may thrust one into a hurly-burly world of conflict and noise.  I recommend Huascar Medina's remedy.  Retreat into a quiet world where words and thoughts are comforting friends, and someday perhaps you'll have something to offer others in a drill-sergeant world. 

**********************

Later additions:  Here is a great article that appeared in August 2019 in the journal for the Kansas Leadership Center.  It corrects a detail that I wrote above about Medina's birthplace.  He was, in fact, born in Texas--not Puerto Rico.  I do know though that he lived in Puerto Rico during his childhood, and that he had grandparents in Puerto Rico.  His father was apparently stationed in Puerto Rico while serving in the US military. 

The article also mentions that Medina works as a maintenance man at a hotel.  He has a day job, in other words.  Medina referred to this in his presentation in Hutchinson.  Past Poet Laureate awards have usually been given to people who teach or have advanced degrees in a language arts field.  Medina stands apart from these in having a "regular" rather than an impressive academic title or job.  He does, however, have a degree, and took writing classes while he was earning it. 

I should have listed "Kansas sunsets" as one more common interest I have with Medina.

Medina would like to correct impressions among some people that farmers and country folks are ignorant and unintelligent.  He used his Puerto Rican grandfather as an example of a farmer who was intelligent, well-informed, and capable.  For this, Medina has my great respect. 

Huascar's first name is pronounced wah-SCAR.

4 Comments:

  • This post resonates with me in a number of ways but especially this: "It's just an idea that seems to have enough merit to spend a little more time with. If others can help me figure things out, so much the better."

    By Blogger Dorcas, at 1/29/2020  

  • Thank you for the affirmation, Dorcas. I'm glad to have curious people like you in my life.

    By Blogger Miriam Iwashige, at 1/29/2020  

  • I also find it troubling when people perceive one perspective from a politically all-or-none context. It seems to me those people have embraced the two-party concept, rather than the two-kingdom concept (John 18:36). LRM

    By Blogger LRM, at 1/30/2020  

  • LRM I think a lot of us have had a chance during the past few years to see how incompatible Christianity and partisan politics have become.

    By Blogger Miriam Iwashige, at 1/30/2020  

Post a Comment



<< Home