Prairie View

Sunday, November 17, 2019

My Plan for the Impeachment Proceedings

Last week I watched parts of the impeachment hearings for which President Trump is the subject.  While it's against my principles to proclaim sweeping endorsements or condemnations of any individual or group of people in political circles, I'd admit to having been very favorably impressed with how William Taylor (current American ambassador to Ukraine), George Kent (with the American foreign service in Ukraine), and Marie Yavonavitch (former ambassador to Ukraine) presented themselves.  To  me they seemed credible and honorable. 

I saw the least of Yavonavitch's testimony, but that little bit made me cry.  I couldn't believe that she was able to keep her composure while describing the absolutely despicable treatment she was subjected to.  In her I saw myself and every other person who faces difficult things and keeps plugging away, trying to do the right thing.  In her case she saw all those efforts seemingly go up in flames, with her name besmirched and her career in tatters.  Those who witnessed her testimony stood and applauded as she finished and was allowed to leave the room. I see why that seemed appropriate.

To my knowledge Yavonavich's testimony aligned in every regard with that of Taylor and Kent, both of whom have had a long career of service under both Democratic and Republican presidents.  All of them described highly irregular and damaging behavior from those at the highest levels of the executive branch of our federal government.  This included direct interference with their efforts to carry out official US foreign policy according to details that had been specified by Congress.  Yet all of them were careful to maintain a respectful tone.  Taylor especially almost fell over himself in trying to avoid saying "too much."   

I did not observe the same respectful, restrained tone in the president or those who represented him.  At the very time Yavonavitch was testifying, for example, President Trump tweeted that she was "bad news" and that things "went bad" everywhere she served.  Others have always spoken of her as having served well.  Younger ambassadors regarded her as a mentor. Those places where things "went bad?"  Isn't it possible that, but for her efforts, they might have gone much worse? 

I make no claims about knowing whether the current proceedings should result in the president's removal from office, and I don't pray that this will happen.  Neither do I pray that it will be prevented.  I pray that what is true might come to light and that all who are involved in the proceedings will be righteous in their conclusions and courageous in their actions.  I will remember and honor the Lord's sovereignty, no matter the outcome. 

I don't know if I'll see any more of the impeachment proceedings.  If I do I won't promise not to cry, but in the future I will try to refrain from punching my finger at the computer screen and expressing disgust with Representative Jordan, if he should do any repeat performances of what I saw in last week's cross-examination.  My plan instead is to plead--as often as necessary: "Lord have mercy."







0 Comments:

Post a Comment



<< Home