Prairie View

Saturday, November 09, 2019

Simple Pleasures

I really wanted to use a more catchy title than this for what I anticipate making an occasional feature of this blog, but I opted for familiarity instead.  If this were a Facebook post I'd probably give it a #simplepleasures hashtag. 

Other title possibilities:

"Smiles for Ridiculous Reasons"  (Too klutzy)

"Everyday Blessings"  (Too sanctimonious)

'Unexpected Beauty" (Beauty is not a feature of every pleasure)

"Coincidences" (Pleasure is not always part of this)

"Tools That Really Work" (Writing advertising copy is not the goal)

"Home Improvements"

"Harmonious Relationships"

*****************

Simple Pleasures

This morning I was still in my devotions chair at 7:00 when I observed the first magma-colored arc of sun showing over the horizon.  Simultaneously, the dining room clock struck seven. Before the orb had become completely visible, while I was washing my hands in the bathroom, I heard a mouse trap snap in the kitchen, while Hiromi spoke to me from the bedroom, "You didn't tell me what kind of sprouts you want."  (He's placing an order here at my suggestion.)

Earlier I found myself smiling again at the mobile hanging from the opening between the living room and dining room.  Tristan helped me put it up recently when some of the grandchildren were here.  Mobiles like this made by Otagiri of Japan have given me pleasure for many years.  Without knowing any of these details I was first mesmerized by the one I saw in the home of Perry and Judy, my uncle and aunt.  Theirs featured sailboats.  Later (while I was a poor college student) I saw and purchased one with seagulls--at the drugstore in Sterling.  The one I admired in my living room this morning has hummingbirds.  The one at the above  link sold for $50.00.  The box for mine is marked $.50.  I think I stuffed into a bag at Mae Yoder's rummage sale recently at the end of their sale when things were selling for $1.00/bag.  The materials for this mobile are actually "cheap" I suppose, but the design is exquisite.  And how many elements of home decor feature graceful movement as mobiles do?  Woe to you though if you ever take such a mobile down and lay it haphazardly into a box.  You'll probably never get the strings and wires and beads and figures untangled.  That was the fate of that lovely seagull one I bought during college and I suspect this explains why no images of these mobiles in use seem to be available online.  If it's nicely placed in a box though, as my hummingbird one was, snap it up in a heartbeat and prepare to enjoy this gem among life's simple pleasures. 

2 Comments:

  • Maybe I should look for a mobile to put on the hanger where my fern used to be.--Linda

    By Blogger LRM, at 11/09/2019  

  • One thing to bear in mind is the "spread" of a mobile. You don't want it to keep bumping into things as it turns. I do think you'd enjoy a mobile in the spot you're thinking of.

    By Blogger Miriam Iwashige, at 11/09/2019  

Post a Comment



<< Home