Prairie View

Sunday, January 10, 2016

Sunday Wrapup--Jan. 10, 2015

Two days ago Hiromi was asking "What's wrong with me?  I had knee surgery and don't have any pain."

Today he's asking, "What's wrong with me?  I have so much pain."

I looked askance at him as he trudged around inside the house on the first day after surgery, even eschewing his crutches part of the time.  He parked in front of the computer quite a long time.  He ate at the table and washed dishes afterward.  The cold pack machine sat unused a good part of the day.  I didn't nag though.  Now I think I probably should have.

On Saturday he was up and at it again early in the day, but things started heading south soon afterward.  I ended up bringing all his meals to the bedroom.  Every time he needed to get out of bed, I unhooked the cooling tubes that were fastened in place under his bandage, and I hooked them  up again when he returned.  I manually lifted his leg off the pillow and lowered it ever-so-gently to the floor, and then lifted it back up again onto the pillow when he returned.  I adjusted the pillow under his leg just so and placed four layers of covers carefully over him after he was all hooked up.  Over and over, all day and all night and all day today, filling the "ice chest" ("cold-pack" machine) with new chunks of ice and refilling the containers for the freezer.  He moved very slowly and painfully on crutches.

At the 5:00 AM commotion I asked him if he'd like for me to stay home from church.  "That would be convenient," he said, which is as close as he's likely to get to requiring such a thing of me.  I knew it was way too early (while at the same time being too late) to call someone about not being able to teach my Sunday School class, but I sent one of the superintendents a Facebook message telling him I wouldn't be able to teach today.  He responded a little after 7:00, saying they'll take care of it.  I suppose that meant his wife would teach the class.  She's the appointed substitute.

I felt really bad for springing this nasty surprise on someone else.  I was a bit consoled when I remembered that my brother had once last year asked me to teach a class within the last half hour before Sunday School started.  I actually wasn't too inconvenienced by that, and hoped maybe Cynthia was similarly inconvenienced.

I did go ahead and make notes just as if I had been teaching and ended up emailing them to Brian's house, after he invited me to do so.  Then I prayed for the substitute, and kept right on working here at home until 9:30 when I called the conference line and listened to the devotions and singing.  Later I dialed in again and heard the share time, announcements and sermon. I really appreciate this way of being able to participate in the service at a distance.

************

Tonight Grant's family came and retrieved Buck, the puppy we "babysat" for them while they were traveling.  I'm sure Barney will  miss him.  They lit up each others' lives and no doubt helped each other stay warm on frigid nights.

************

This morning it was three degrees above zero--the coldest temperature of the season so far.

************

Hiromi's niece, Bev, who will turn 60 this year, posted this on Facebook on December 31:

I ran 1,157 miles this year ... ran in 72 races including 2 triathlons, 18 half marathons, one 25k, and numerous 15k's, 10k's, 5k's, 10 miles, etc. What a fabulous year! Thanks to EVERYONE who was a part of it! Can't wait to see what 2016 brings! My goal is 19 half marathons, 1 full marathon and as many races as I can possibly do!

She got a kick out of hearing about a conversation between her high-school-aged step-grandson and his friend, who boasted that his mom had run a 5K race.  The grandson's response?  "My grandma runs marathons."  Does she ever.

"It's a sickness," she joked when we talked on New Year's Day about her running.  She noted further that it's not the cheap sport that some think it is.  Most races have entry fees, and the gear for running can be expensive and in frequent need of replacement.  Bev runs in some exotic locations, and hopes to celebrate her 60th birthday with a race in Paris.  Travel to those places and meals and lodging while there is part of the expense.

She has an office job with the city of Hutchinson.

****************

Sheila Graber got married on Friday night to Dylan Hodson.  They are both attending school in Wichita.  After they graduate this spring, she goes on to school to become a physician's assistant.  His major is accounting.

Sheila graduated from Pilgrim seven years ago during the year I was on sabbatical.

At the wedding reception, we snacked on flavorful pretzels and made s'mores over canned heat in clay flower pots at the tables while we waited to be served sandwiches.  It was a fun way to pass the time.

****************

One of Hiromi's ways of biding his time since the knee surgery is to listen to stories told by professional Japanese story tellers.  Hiromi finds them funny and fascinating.  I have no idea what they're about, but I am quite entertained by the vocal sound effects.  I may or may not have deduced what was happening and said, "Someone get that guy to a bathroom. Quick."

****************

Hiromi and I have a little post-surgery tradition going.  I rather like it, but I'd give it up gladly if we never had another need for surgery.

On Thursday, after we left Surgicare of Wichita, which is an outpatient surgery center, we drove to the Dillons store on Rock Road.  I went inside and purchased two sushi trays, one for each of us.  We ate it in the car.  We did the same thing when Hiromi had surgery ten years ago on the other knee.  In May when I had surgery we actually drove to the Dillons store in Hutchinson for our sushi.  The timing worked out right to eat closer to home, and we had to fill a prescription in Hutchinson anyway.

I don't know how many times Hiromi said on the way home on Thursday, "That sushi was good!"  If I had had any openness to doing so, I think he would have been happy to have me turn around and go back for more sushi.  If only it were less expensive!

***************

The doctor who performed the knee surgery always prescribes physical therapy as a followup.  Hiromi believes this is a key component of the good recovery he experienced after his earlier surgery.  The first appointment is on Tuesday, five days after the surgery.  The therapist is in Hutchinson.

***************

The orthopedic surgeon had his own knee repaired at some point recently.  He told Hiromi he went back to work the next day.  I suspect he's better at urging other people to take care of themselves than he is at listening when others want him to take care of himself.  He's a big friendly bear of a man whose specialty is knee surgery.

****************

The CASP crew is here again and it's really good to see Marcus and Lois and Dwight and Katie again--from South Carolina and Ohio.  Both couples have been here in the past as cooks/houseparents/crew bosses, etc.  Marcus and Lois have been here six different years.  We haven't yet been introduced to the guys who came, but that will likely happen soon.  I think there are often about ten young men.  They come from many states.  Katie was the big sister of some of my students when I taught school in Ohio.

At the last public report, more participants were still needed for the month of February and March.  If any reader here knows of someone who would be interested, feel free to pass the word.  The work consists of repair, remodeling, and construction.  The project happens in partnership with Interfaith Housing, a charitable organization operating in Hutchinson long before CASP came to town.  Everyone with CASP lives together in a big house in town.  Interfaith  Housing owns the house, which was remodeled by the CASP group one year.

*****************

The first cut flower class will meet this Friday evening in one of the Pilgrim classrooms.  I'm very pleased that this is possible.  I would be happy to see the building used as a community learning center.

****************

I'm on my second reading of The Lean Farm, a new book for 2015.  In essence, it applies to farming the manufacturing principles used most famously by Toyota in Japan.  Efficiency rises almost to an art form in this system, focusing on the elimination of waste in various forms, and allowing production to be customer-driven.  The end result is impressive productivity.  The author, Ben Hartman, lives in northern Indiana, and was mentored by a Mr. Brenneman who has an aluminum trailer factory in Nappanee.

By running a lean operation, the Hartmans have reduced their market garden production area from three acres to one acre and are making more money in less time than before.

Hartman has Amish neighbors and notes ways in which they have traditionally operated with a lean mentality without knowing it had a name.

While I see many things I've done wrong habitually, something about the book feels familiar and right--perhaps because of what has come to me through acquaintance with both Amish and Japanese sensibilities.  Yet, I find myself resisting it a bit as well--just like I did when I read Marie Kondo's book on housekeeping.  Let's just say I'd need a bit of a values reset to get on board fully with all of what is recommended in the interest of efficiency.  I contend that creativity can be harnessed for maximum productivity--not only streamlining ruthlessly and regimenting every part of the process.

I do recommend the book to anyone with an interest in the topic of productivity.  The principles apply to a variety of endeavors.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



<< Home