Prairie View

Friday, January 01, 2016

Year-end Post

My brain started churning out a year-end post after I read through several such columns on the editorial page of our daily paper.  It's most of a day later and I'll see if I can gather up the bits that occurred to me then and make them hold still long enough to pass them on.  I'll start with the gloomies--the griefs and disappointments--just to defy the recommendation for how to catch and hold a reader's interest.

This year brought personal grief, personal health crisis, and disappointment.  My  mother's death in January and my brother-in-law Matthew's death in March stand out.  My own cancer diagnosis and surgery at the end of a busy school year was the closest-home incidence of illness--except I never did really feel bad before surgery.  Now, at the end of the year, our dear church sister, Twila, is undergoing treatment for cancer also--with a more grave prognosis than mine.  My dad has enlarged lymph glands, which are a concern to his oncologist.  Hiromi has a knee in need of surgery, scheduled for next week.  Ageing is robbing people around me of much that they treasure, and it's hard to watch.

I'll hurry through the disappointment section, although I think this could be the longest one of all.  I'm disappointed in Christians, many of whom I loved and trusted.  I cringe when they show the world a small-minded, ungenerous, and selfish side--often as part of maintaining partisan political loyalties and agendas.  I hate when power is abused and ordinary people suffer because of it.  I hate seeing hedonism embraced.  I dislike seeing loved ones indulging in vices or misguided pursuits, and rejecting help that is offered.  I'm disappointed in some non-Christians too, but I expect less of them to start with, so the pain of unmet hopes is less acute.

Now, on to better things.  I now own a camera that I'm slowly learning to use.  I also own a Kindle with which I am unfortunately stuck in learning how to use.  I've had some enjoyable opportunities to learn and serve.  I'm not sure how to list those without displaying false Anabaptist humility.

Dreaming of big improvements and making small improvements to the house, garden, and yard have been gratifying.  A successful fall garden was very nice.  Snuggling and interacting otherwise with grandbabies and toddlers is a special kind of pleasure.  I loved how the church trustees invited input from the church people in planning the new kitchen and then honored what they heard.

I like that Grant was able to find a new job he enjoys (although I could easily worry for his safety if I was so inclined), and Shane's business is growing and providing income for a number of families--as well as an investment opportunity for many more individuals and homes for many families--85? of them.  I love thinking about Joel's family coming home in April.

I was really happy to be able to spend time with my extended parental family several times this past year.  I always marvel at how smart and funny these people are.  (Nothing like a new Trivia game to drive home the point that I'm quickly left in the dust on many matters.  Myron, on the other hand--he's easy not to like much during a Trivia game.  He even gets sports and entertainment questions right.) I participate in what's going on, but mostly look on and listen and laugh at appropriate times.  I liked that Linda and Lois played Scrabble with me on Christmas Day.  I like that Shane and Dorcas are hosting the annual Iwashige family New Year's Day Japanese food extravaganza this year--tomorrow, one day late since Hiromi had to work today.

And with those warm fuzzy feelings I'll sign off and go to bed.


  

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



<< Home