Prairie View

Sunday, March 22, 2015

Sunday Wrapup--3/22/2015

I hardly know how to act with the prospect of a week of spring break ahead, starting tomorrow.  Do I even need to think about going to bed at a responsible hour?  Maybe not.

Shane's family spent the evening here--starting with an impromptu walk-around-outside-and-talk-about-growing-things activity, closely linked to a see-a-rabbit-and-shoot-it activity--twice this evening.

Before that we had a short admire-the-new/used-minivan session.  It was purchased in Texas, and pickup was accomplished while incorporating a visit to Craig and Rachel's family.  Dorcas and Rachel are sisters.

After we came inside Hiromi cooked up a big batch of fried rice, and that was our impromptu supper.

It was a gorgeous spring day.

The tiny blue scilla and one lone blue/purple crocus are in bloom, along with the Forsythia and Nanking Cherry bushes.  

****************

I think we need help naming our cats.  So far we have only "Cat" and "Holstein Cat."  Hiromi declares that "Cat" thinks she's a dog.  He bases this on the begging and pleading she is capable of--sitting plaintively outside the patio doors and fixing a steady gaze on Hiromi in the dining room, and then mouthing a meow, which Hiromi understands perfectly to mean "Aren't you forgetting to serve my meal?"

**************

There's not a lot new to report on Matthew's condition.  Clara says she thinks there continues to be decline, but not a steep decline.

***************

Titus and Sherry's little Kole Lorne Yutzy was in church for the first time today.  His just-turned 2-years-old twin brothers and 4-year-old sister no doubt make getting to church quite a production.

***************

Emily Y. is subpoenaed to appear in court next week on the day the man who entered their house and her room on New Year's Eve faces charges.  He fled in great haste when he discovered that the house was not empty as he thought.  Emily is not eager for this court appearance to happen, but has little choice in the matter.

***************

Hiromi recently made a number of copies of an NHK (Japan TV station) Production that was filmed here in 1994--21 years ago.  The recording also included a number of the outtakes of the filming.  Already it's quite a treasure trove of memories, with a number of people shown active and well who have now passed on or become very feeble.  Another marvel is how the little children have changed.  Shane was eight and Grant was six.  The filming happened in a communion service on the day that my niece Megan was born, and I was caring for Christopher during church.

***************

I've discovered a compelling reason to plant more of those white and green tomatoes that some members of my food production class tried last year.  I like a tall glass of fresh "green" juice as a major component of breakfast.  The usual ingredients are spinach and kale, with smaller amounts of celery and cucumber.  I pour this over some salted ice cubes and then top off the glass with some home-canned tomato juice--which makes a very tasty drink.  The red and green colors, however, combine to make the drink an unappetizing muddy brown.  No such problem with white or green tomato juice--all the goodness and none of the ugliness.

Aunt Ruby's German Green is one variety I want, and I'm still waiting to find out what the white variety was called before ordering that one.  The white was actually a very pale yellow, and the fruits were large and tasty.  Kristi, who grew the green one, said it had great flavor and was fairly productive.

I know I would love freshly-juiced fruits as well, but I limit my juicing to veggies only, because of concerns about overdoing the blood sugar "shot" and because I find it a lot easier to eat several fruits a day than to chew a half of a strainer bowl of fibrous veggies early in the morning.

I'm discovering that I really don't like drinking all my calories.  I want some chewing--but not too much.



 


0 Comments:

Post a Comment



<< Home