Prairie View

Sunday, March 15, 2015

Comments on Old Posts

I've been wanting to return to the topics of several earlier posts.  First, I'll respond to a question someone asked about how to live like pilgrims and strangers.

I answered originally in fairly blase` terms, and completely forgot about mentioning the practice of hospitality as an important "pilgrims and strangers" practice.  Who understands the need for this better than a traveler?  And who is in a better position to extend hospitality than "travelers" who are temporarily in a stationary place while other pass by?

I have great admiration for those who do this so much better than I do.  It's one of the goals of my life to exercise this grace more effectively.

One of the insights I gained in considering the question about how to express our pilgrims and strangers status in daily life is that much of the expression is quite undramatic and ordinary.  Broad strokes and grand gestures are probably the least likely to qualify as pilgrim-and-stranger-friendly activities and choices.  Humble, plodding, make-do contentment is more likely to qualify.

********************

I also want to comment further on the "Your Women Are Not Happy" post.  I will not attempt to declare emphatically how things really are, since I'm not quite sure what to say, but I do think it would be unwise to assume that all those who have observed the phenomenon in the title are delusional.  In other words, I'm guessing that a lot of women do, in fact, look unhappy.

While I'm not sure if all those people are actually unhappy, several reasons why this might be the case have occurred to me.  Take a deep breath here.

1.  Burdens of child rearing fall disproportionately on women because of what we have come to accept as necessities in a man's work world.  I believe this "normal" is, in fact, not normal at all in God's design.  Child rearing is a two-parent job, and when one parent is habitually absent during most waking hours, this burden is not carried on two sets of shoulders as reliably as it ought to be.  Lack of flexibility is often an accompaniment to this arrangement, and taking a child along or involving a child in the dad's work is often an impossibility.  For women, even a tiny bit of flexibility in the husband's schedule makes a huge difference.  Relief will show on her face if this can happen.

2.  Just when children are old enough to help lift many of the burdens of homemaking and childcare, they often go off to school, leaving Mom alone again with younger children needing a lot of care and not offering much help.  The hassles of transportation and dealing with problems the school environment presents can add to the challenge of this choice.  Homeschooling can prevent some of these problems, but schooling tasks can be demanding too.  This is another two-parent job.  I loved having my children close by day in and day out, but I often wished Hiromi were close by too.  I couldn't even reach him on the phone most of the time--company policy.  I'm positive that the frustration of being quite alone sometimes showed up on my face.

3.  Hormone fluctuations can set emotions on edge and sap energy, and women often experience these effects.   "Carrying on" is their only option, however, and sometimes it's barely manageable.  That strain can show up on a woman's face.

4.  Mothers are too often limited to custodial tasks (especially when they do not homeschool--see note on deep breath above).  No woman should refuse to do custodial tasks when needed--and that is exactly what is needed much of the time.  These tasks can be infused with meaning when they are offered as a service to our loved ones and as a sacrifice to God.  They can even be welcome and restful when mixed with other activities.  I heard Elizabeth Elliot say that this is her experience, and I know exactly what she meant.  I've felt the same way.  Doing head work and people work can be very draining, and having to do little more than make one's hands and feet move can seem really easy by comparison.  When no head work or people work is present, however, doing one mindless task after another, day after day, can really drain a lot of zest out of life.  This might be evident in a woman's countenance.

5.  This one almost makes me choke (I really hate sounding whiney), but I think I'd best be honest.   Women's ideas are often less valued than those of men in the "marketplace of ideas" in our church bodies.  I have argued at times that this is not typically the case, but I've heard a different story from men who listen to and observe the behavior of other men.  I find this possibility profoundly distressing.

6.  Women who feel loved, affirmed, and valued will almost certainly have an enlightened countenance.  Without further comment, I rest my case.

If you haven't read the comments others have made on the original post, I urge you to do so.  I loved reading them.

More thoughts?

5 Comments:

  • I found this very challenging. If the Scripture says that the joy of the Lord is my strength - then why should my face be long? And if I say I am fulfilled in my calling as a mother and wife - then why not look like it? I am not minimizing the challenges that you stated. Some of them have been very real in my own life. But I have found that if I focus on my husband's long work hours - then I'm grumpy - and it soon spreads to the children. If I view my husband's work as a blessing to our family and give him gratitude - then my heart is lighter - and I assume my face is too.

    Thanks for helping me think about my reactions.
    Gina

    By Blogger Gina, at 3/26/2015  

  • Gina, thanks for the comment. I agree with what you're pointing out. I really long not to let any unfavorable circumstance drain the joy from my life, and I especially wish not to find reasons to whine in the ordinary carrying out of "reasonable service" duties. In a marriage or in a brotherhood, however, a lack of joy is a matter for everyone to think about, and, since I am a woman, I think first of challenges women might face. Sometime maybe a man will clue us in on issues for men. A wonderful result of thinking about such things would be for people to have fresh motivation to help each other find joy.

    By Blogger Mrs. I (Miriam Iwashige), at 3/31/2015  

  • I've been thinking a lot about this in the last few days since I've read this post and then the first one you wrote on the subject. I think this is really sad ... we could be bringing glory to Christ by the light in our eyes. The points you raised here are all valid, but I keep coming back to my belief that in general our faces reflect our peace with God, almost regardless of our physical or emotional circumstances. This is what I have found in my life, and I've observed it in others as well. One lady in particular comes to mind - she had lots of small as well as bigger children and a worrying health condition among other cares, and her face, although tired and pale, was smiling and at peace. Your comments about the husband's love, affirmation, and flexibility do have a big part in this, I am sure.

    What you said about women's custodial tasks is interesting as well. There again, the husband's attitude makes a huge difference. My feeling has been that women are happy when they can be at home mothering their children. Among my non-Mennonite friends, the ones with jobs away from their children usually don't really like their job and are glad for maternity leave so they can be home. (They work because they feel like they need the income.) Several of my friends work at home taking care of other women's children and are happy with that arrangement. All that to say - women are nurturers and I think that creating a home is a fulfilling work. It can be very creative and does not need to be limited to custodial tasks. Reading books on child development, etc. has helped to give me a sense of purpose about how to create an environment for my children to learn and grow. Hospitality can be encouraging and invigorating for both the giver and receiver - becoming a meaningful part of your community. All this takes effort and motivation needs to come from somewhere and God's light and love are an integral part. My husband is involved in a ministry with troubled youth and supporting him in his work helps me to think outside myself as well. I'm sure that having a husband with a day job that his wife has a hard time relating to would be difficult.

    I like your idea about finding ways to come back to joy. This is part of what we are created for and I believe it's worth pondering and acting on. Thanks for bringing up this subject!

    By Anonymous Karen, at 4/08/2015  

  • Karen, you do a good job of putting into words what I was thinking as I wrote the above post--that none of these things are big enough to separate us from the love of God and the joy that results from being His. Yet, it's important to understand each other's struggles, and to keep working at bringing them to the father--sometimes on behalf of others, and certainly as women pray about their own needs.

    By Blogger Mrs. I (Miriam Iwashige), at 4/08/2015  

  • "Yet, it's important to understand each other's struggles, and to keep working at bringing them to the father--sometimes on behalf of others, and certainly as women pray about their own needs."
    I agree! I kept wishing after I commented that we could have a group discussion instead of being limited to blog comments and faceless words.

    Blessings to you, Miriam, in facing your recent diagnosis. I hope you are filled with peace that can shine from your face. :)

    By Anonymous Karen, at 4/08/2015  

Post a Comment



<< Home