Prairie View

Friday, May 23, 2014

Bird Sightings--May 22, 2014

Yesterday I received another birding account sent to me by Joseph.  Here's the account:

This morning, while working in the garden, I heard a bunting song from the grove that reminded me greatly of the Lazuli X Indigo hybrid's song last year. So, after lunch, I went down to investigate. After seeing a couple y-b [yellow-billed] cuckoos (finally) and some waxwings and Lincoln's sparrows, I progressed into the grove. At first I couldn't find anything except for the resident pair of Blue Grosbeaks and a couple Least Flycatchers, But presently I began to hear the bunting song again. I tracked it down and was disappointed to see a dark blue bunting singing, however it turned around and I was elated to see it had some blotchy white on its underside! It is not the same one as last year, but presumably a backcross, as it is much more like an indigo than a lazuli.
     Lazuli X Indigo are relatively regular hybrids where the range overlaps. But having them nest this far east (as one did last year) is very unusual.
    The sora at our lagoon has remained here since Tuesday, being very tame and unelusive, rather atypical for rails.

Joey

The list looks like this:

Lazuli x Indigo Bunting Hybrid
Yellow-billed Cuckoo
Cedar Waxwing
Lincoln's Sparrow
Blue Grosbeak
Least Flycatcher
Sora




0 Comments:

Post a Comment



<< Home