Prairie View

Saturday, November 09, 2013

The Wedding and Other Matters

Whew!   Today I'm thankful for some things I wasn't thankful for yesterday:

1.  That I am not planning on getting married.

2.  That my children's weddings are all in the past.

If I planned a wedding to suit my tastes precisely, I have a feeling it would fall off the bottom of other people's favorite-things-in-weddings charts.  The food would be good, mind you, and the flowers would be fresh, the dresses would be new, and the singing would be as glorious as it usually is these days, but simple would be the name of the game--at least as simple as is possible when a crowd is involved.  I would creep in and out with as little fanfare as possible.  Being in the limelight is not for sissies like me, especially when Hiromi and I are hugging and kissing.  I'm sure I sound like I'm about 61 years old and have been married for about 32 years.  Why yes, that's exactly how it is.

**************************

Danny and Kathy got married today, and it was a nice wedding, with much love and beauty in evidence.
Arlyn N. preached on Song of Solomon, which was surprising, but probably shouldn't have been.  I'm guessing most preachers have no idea how to elucidate the message of the book discreetly in a mixed audience, but Arlyn pulled it off, and succeeded in directing our attention to the love of the Father for His bride, without forcing that truth onto the content of the Song of Solomon.  I really enjoyed the sermon.  Did you know that the book has the typical Hebrew poetry form, with ideas being repeated in artful arrangements--unlike western poetry where rhyme and rhythm are key elements of poetry?  According to one author Arlyn referred to, the form of Song of Solomon is this:  Prologue, A, B, C, Pivot/Climax/Fulcrum, C, B, A, Epilogue.  Arlyn carefully summarized the contents of each section, reading selected passages throughout.  Very fascinating.

At the reception I sat with my parents, (Hiromi had to leave for work before the meal.) and Shane and his wife and youngest son were only one table away, baby Carson within reach of his grandma for a bit of the time, so that was very nice.  Shane was the MC at the reception, and they had wisely planned ahead to have Tristan stay at Myron and Rhoda's house.  Seated very near the mike as they were, Tristan, hungry and needing a nap, would have been unlikely to add anything good to the atmosphere.  Besides, this was the big week for toilet training the little fellow.  Getting text message updates about successes and failures was far more relaxing for Dorcas than dealing directly with them would have been.

I  learned at the reception that Grant had grilled the chicken for the reception meal.  It was delicious.

Anja Miller was to sing at this wedding.  All those who sang wore white roses, "in loving memory of Anja."

For a period of time--perhaps for a year or so--before Danny and Kathy started dating, Kathy was one of three of the youth girls who asked me to "mentor" them.  I wasn't sure how to do that, but we met regularly, and learned to love each other and pray for each other.  Even before that, I was convinced that Kathy was quite a special young lady, and I never saw any reason to think otherwise after I learned to know her better.  She's unusually articulate,  and obviously intelligent, with quite an array of domestic skills.  We heard today that she never shied away from hard, dirty farm work.  I'm impressed.

We also heard today that Kathy did nothing to encourage Danny's interest in her when he first made it known.  In fact, Danny's father suggested today that she may have overdone it a bit, but he still was sure it was good for Danny.  Hearing about the drama early on was a fun part of the open mike time.  Danny, who spoke last, told us that he thought maybe he should have taken notes on what others said, because he thought he could likely have given a rebuttal in many cases.  Fortunately, he decided to forego the rebuttals, and spoke instead of his and Kathy's desire for others to know and feel the love of God for His bride.

********************

Kathy has two "eligible" sisters--one a little older, and the other a little younger.  Just in case anyone has a need for such information.

********************

 Seriously, one of the thoughts that has recurred often since Anja's death is that many other young ladies I know are really amazing people.  Anja was such a person, of course, and when she died, we all spoke of her wonderful characteristics and celebrated them, and  deeply mourned the loss of this amazing person.  What if we affirmed and celebrated those characteristics when we see them in the living--at a time when it need not be coupled with mourning?  It sounds like a good plan to me.  I admit that I'm not unusually good at seeing and seizing such opportunities myself, but I hope to become more attuned to following up on the opportunities.  As was true of Anja, others are gifted musically,  are heroes to the little people in their lives, affirm and support others unselfishly, love God passionately, serve their families, reach out to needy people, and have beautiful smiles and pure hearts.  I thank God that they have not all been snatched away as Anja was.

*******************

My dear friend, former housemate and co-teacher, Susie, was at the wedding today.  She is Danny's aunt.  I had very little time to visit with her, since I was coming and going with my parents, and they left fairly promptly after we were dismissed.  I hope to work on catching up tomorrow.  Her daughter has me pegged as a match for her talkative mother.  I'm not sure that it's a fair characterization of either of us.  (Notice the starchy tone?)  Why wouldn't we both talk a mile-a-minute after we've been separated for months or years, and still love to know about the other's life?

*******************

Lowell and David Y. had plans to travel next week to India for the annual pastors' seminars our church supports.  David, however, discovered that his visa is not current, and there is too little time to get an updated one, so Lowell will be traveling alone from here.  Vidya, the Mennonite Brethren pastor from Canada, who is an Indian native, is still planning to go.

*******************

I met one faithful blog reader today--Dorcas Miller's mother.  They are en route to Mexico to visit Floyd and Dorcas.  I saw them last at Anja's funeral, but had never actually met them till today, and certainly did not know that Dorcas' mother is a blog reader.

*******************

Lorne K.  is assuming LaVerne M.'s deacon duties for the present.

That reminds me of the stink room story.  It does relate to the previous bit of information in that I overheard the "stink room" reference in the few minutes before I entered the sanctuary for the preparatory service ahead of communion.  LaVerne was going over a few details with Grace or Susanna, in the process of handing off some of his and Rebecca's usual communion duties, and finished by saying he would leave _____________ in the stink room.    I had never heard it called that.

That put a silly grin on my face as I walked in to take my seat. The "stink room" is tucked away in a corner of room 1 in the basement, and it contains the collecting hole for the sump pump.  There's also a sink in there, and a water heater, I believe.  It does not smell good, as attested to by Harry S., who opined that if they used banishment to that room as a punishment for misbehavior at the grade school, there would surely be good behavior all around.

I had prayed for encouragement en route to the preparatory service.  Who would have thought of the "stink room" as the vehicle for brightening my outlook?

********************

How did we get from the wedding to the stink room in this post?  Selah.

 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



<< Home