Prairie View

Thursday, July 18, 2013

The Opinion

Rosina helped me out or got me in trouble by asking about my opinion on all-day sports events for young people.  I suppose it's obvious that I'm not talking about every sport in every setting, but primarily the most common group sports in our setting.  On the treadmill this morning it occurred to me that I have reservations both because of the excesses and the deficits I believe such events  can promote.

First, however, let's deal with the caveats.  I don't personally dislike volleyball, basketball, or softball.  I've only played softball competitively, and that was in grade school, but enjoyed both of the other sports when I was younger and more agile.

I recalled this morning that in  my first week of college, our orientation group played volleyball together.  I don't remember anything about the game except that I overheard someone say about me, "Where did she learn to play volleyball like that?" I took it to be a compliment.  I'm sure there was also some amazement that it was possible to play volleyball dressed in Beachy clothes, black hose included, in those days.  Just so you know--I'm not approaching the sports issue from this stance:  I stink at sports, so no one else should enjoy them.

Where did I learn to play volleyball "like that?"  I'm not sure.  We no doubt played it sometimes in grade school and high school, but mostly I remember occasional youth group socials when we played volleyball.  It was the same way in Ohio where I lived for five years.  Those years immediately preceded my first year of college.  In my experience, a decent level of proficiency can be reached for people with average athletic ability, even if sports are practiced only occasionally.

Second caveat.  I see a small measure of value in sports events if they provide exercise or wholesome social interaction, especially if such opportunities are lacking otherwise.

How does an excess of involvement in sports look?  Unbalanced.  That's how.  Too much time involvement.  Too much money spent.  Too much hedonism (esteeming pleasure too highly).  Too much preoccupation with physical prowess.

What are the deficits?  Opportunity cost--missing out on better things because of too much sports involvement.  To put it very bluntly, I suspect that people who have time for all the sports opportunities that arise don't work enough or spend enough time with their family.  I say that because I believe that a sufficient number of sports opportunities exist beyond all-day events--at least enough to provide a decent balance between work, family, and sports.  I think all-day events tips it over the edge into imbalance.

In the social interaction department, I think it's safe to assume that most of the interaction takes place on a very shallow level during prolonged sports events.  When thoughts and eyes focus almost exclusively on the game, there's not much brain or heart or spirit space left that's easily accessible.  Quick encouraging words can be uttered, and that's an emotional plus, but, rooted in performance as such comments usually are, the encouragement disappears as soon as the performance suffers or the venue disappears.

Even when the goal of treating others with courtesy is present,  some of the other interactions end up being anything but genteel or gentle.  Violent collisions can happen--in front of a host of witnesses. The game can actually suffer if people put courtesy ahead of playing to win.  

In recent years, my athletic skills have all vanished, and I  feel no urge to recover them.  Competitive sports are very low on my list of favorite activities, either as a participant or observer.

My boys no longer answer to me on any aspect of their involvement or non-involvement with sports.  I still remember, however, how much I loved having them at home, and I pity parents who have less of that privilege than I enjoyed--because sports takes them away.  I don't see how the relationship I enjoy with them today could have happened without a lot of time spent together.

I've heard some fairly passionate defense of the value of sports.  I've mostly just listened at such times.  It's in thinking about things quietly afterward that I've thought of lots of counter-arguments.  The bottom line is that most of the value that can be found in sports can also be found in alternative activities that have far fewer negative aspects and far more positive aspects.  Sports belongs in the "childish things" category, in my opinion, and very little is lost by putting off childish things at whatever time in life when maturity seems desirable.

3 Comments:

  • This comment has been removed by the author.

    By Blogger Mrs. I (Miriam Iwashige), at 7/19/2013  

  • Linda emailed me her comment when her efforts to decipher the captcha were unsuccessful. Thanks to her for doing exactly what I hope others will do if they have the same problem.

    By Blogger Mrs. I (Miriam Iwashige), at 7/19/2013  

  • I have no problem with sports in their place, whatever that may be. One thing I do struggle with is when identity is based on performance, or whether or not one participates. I was definitely on the "not cool" side when it came to sports in V.S., and I seldom played because of it. I can understand true athletes want to be successful. However, I know what it can feel like when one is looked down upon just because sports aren't a strength. I want the athletes to be able to enjoy themselves, yet I want the others to not feel devalued when their performance isn't peak. All day social sports? Maybe on occasion,but preferably not to a level where it brings a detriment to those involved or uninvolved. Thanks for being courageous enough to share your views.

    Linda Miller

    By Blogger Mrs. I (Miriam Iwashige), at 7/22/2013  

Post a Comment



<< Home