Prairie View

Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Keys for a Successful Transition

On Saturday I trundled in to town to do some shopping--not one of my favorite activities, but it had to be done.  Hiromi was not about to risk getting an unsatisfactory upholstery fabric for the dining room chairs, so it was up to me.  When I saw the yardage price for the upholstery fabric, I remembered one of the reasons I hate to shop.  $30.00 a yard is a lot of money, and I always feel guilty about spending a lot of money.  The other reason I'm not fond of going to town is that I usually end up doing something that makes me feel stupid.  I told Hiromi this before I went, knowing it was probably revealing a flaw in my character to feel this way, but it's best to be honest.

The stupid moment came right after I exited Lowes and tried to unlock my car.  I don't nearly always lock my car, but after stowing away $100.00 worth of upholstery supplies, I didn't want them stolen, so I had checked carefully for the ignition key in my purse before leaving the vehicle.  It was right where it should be, and I knew I was all set.  Stupidity would be held at bay, due to my diligent foresight.  Moment of truth:  the ignition key did not unlock the door.

Then I remembered a second key which I had left inside the car.  It was for the trunk, the latch and lock there having been recently changed.  Could that also have been for the doors?  It didn't really make sense, but nothing else made sense either.

All this key business is about the Mitsubishi Eclipse that we recently purchased from Joel.  I now had one more gripe against the vehicle beside the mismatch between its sporty persona and my unsporty one:  the keys were complicated.  I don't do keys very well at all, or complicated little things in general.

I tried to call Hiromi, standing there in the parking lot with my bamboo expandable silverware tray in a bag on the top of the Eclipse.  He was out mowing and didn't answer.  Next I called Joel.  Things began to look up fast at this point.  He was only a mile or two away on the Ken Kennedy Parkway headed in to town instead of 30 minutes away in Partridge.  Best of all, he had a key on the floorboard behind the front passenger seat, and he thought it was probably for the Eclipse.

He soon showed up, but not before I had wildly waved to someone in a car that looked like Hilda's car--making sure they saw me in that big parking lot.  It was the wrong car.  It was a man alone in a car with a dealer's license plate.  Second stupid moment.

Joel's key fit the door lock.  He explained to me that he had at some point had to have the ignition switch replaced in the Eclipse.  That's why the ignition key does not fit the door locks.

When I got home, I found a key ring and put all three Eclipse keys on it.  This puts us one small step closer to having our lives together in this transition time.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment



<< Home