Prairie View

Friday, April 19, 2013

Students and Soup

The Pilgrim yearbooks came today.  I looked through my copy and admired everyone's cheerfully bright garments (I knew what to call them after I heard one of the students talk about how saturated all the colors were), and then I set out on a bit of an obsessive compulsive mission.  I counted students that get an education under the Pilgrim banner.  Here are the statistics:

Classroom Students:

Grades 1-4--27 students
Grades 5-8--27 students
Grades 9-12--27 students

Total:  81 students

Homeschooled Students:

Grades 1-12--82 students

************************

Our soup experiment at school turned out OK.  It was thick and hearty.  If I had followed a typical recipe I would probably have added more broth or tomato juice, and I certainly could have added more water, but I decided to leave it alone, and it was just fine.  We had about a gallon left.  I'm sure that some people brought more than their assigned amount of meat, and perhaps other ingredients also.

Susanna and Lois spearheaded the making of fresh hot ciabatta bread--5 loaves.  It's a chewy Italian bread which we ate with butter and honey or strawberry jam.  Really good.

I had one near-disaster with the soup when I added some black pepper.  I aimed to shake some pepper in from the big plastic dispenser in the cupboard and accidentally lifted the "scooping" lid instead.  Waaaaaaay too much pepper.  I quickly dipped out the pepper pile into a nearby cup, and then stirred in the remainder.  By then I had already divided the soup into two kettles, so I mixed them back together briefly to dilute the pepper in the one kettle.  I could still taste a slight excess, but it wasn't too bad.

***********************

At school, we weeded and cleared out dead stalks and mulched in the flower beds.  They look much relieved.  In spite of a chilly start to the day, the weather felt spring-like again by afternoon and it was good to be working outside.

One night next week has temperatures predicted to go down to 30.  Spring keeps getting assaulted by winter of late, and can't seem to get the upper hand for long.   So far it doesn't seem to me to be a bad year for being very late with my gardening ventures.





 


0 Comments:

Post a Comment



<< Home