Prairie View

Friday, November 27, 2009

Hard to Believe

By the time a person is 57 years old, they should understand that the reality inside their own heads is not the same reality inside everyone's head. Right? Right. So why do I find it so hard to believe that not everyone sees the world as I do? Maybe it's because I'm essentially self-centered and limited in understanding. But isn't that the way everyone is?

I see myself in a certain way, and I see the world a certain way. I imagine myself to be clear-eyed and realistic, able to detach myself from foolish biases, think logically, and arrive at sound conclusions. I know a few things about HOW THINGS ARE, and reason that anyone that took the time to think things through would arrive at the same conclusions I have. Wrong, wrong, wrong, my superior self intones (or is that my conscience, or even the Holy Spirit?). True, not all of life and truth is subject to whatever we choose to make of it. Some things abide, even when we don't acknowledge or believe them. But some things really are OK for people to see in any number of different ways. One way may be more convenient or comfortable or traditional or socially acceptable, while a different way is just as right in the eyes of God.

The context of a well-functioning Christian brotherhood is a peerless medium for sorting out what matters and what doesn't. In such a body, people agree on what is most important, and they get lots of reminders that people have a variety of perspectives on matters of lesser importance.

Often we benefit most from the brotherhood experience when we celebrate the variety present, rather than seeking to associate only with people who are most like us, or, worse, try to make everyone else just like ourselves. Is it possible to do this without losing our way? Without losing sight of who we are and what is right about who we are? Without abandoning what is right for something that is no more right than what we've been doing? Can we share with others out of the bounty which we've received without becoming impoverished in the process? Can others be blessed, and even become more like us and be enriched and not impoverished in the process?

This post really started out being a light-hearted look at why other people don't like kale and a whole lot of other foods nearly as much as I do. Why do some people like such unmusical music? Why are they so enamored with political figures that seem small-minded and obnoxious? Why doesn't everyone like animals, and the outdoors, and good writing, and Kansas? Why don't they wear proper clothing, or wear their clothing properly? Why do they speak rudely and crudely? Why don't they see the problems right under their noses? How can they blithely ignore really truly major issues like healthcare and problems in the American food supply--and a lackadaisical attitude toward wonderful learning opportunities? (That was for the benefit of my students, who are with me--or not--on these matters.)

Sigh. I think the intended lightheartedness went astray somewhere. I'm afraid I really and truly have to consider the possibility that my way of looking at many things is not the only valid way. Grumble. Grouse. Grouch. Dis. Phooey. Kick. Scream. I like my way. It's a good way. It might even be a superior way. For sure, it's easier for me to defend my way than yours. Doesn't that prove something?

I'm afraid not.

It's hard to believe.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



<< Home