Prairie View

Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Apple Pie Recipe

I'm delivering on a promise I made a number of weeks ago to post my apple pie recipe:

Old Fashioned Apple Pie

Filling for one 8-inch pie:

3 cups diced apples
2/3 cup sugar
1 Tablespoon flour
1/2 t. cinnamon
pinch of salt
2 Tablespoons cream or rich milk
4 Tablespoons butter

Mix dry ingredients and stir into diced apples along with the cream. Put into unbaked pie crust, dot with butter, then cover with top crust.

I added more cinnamon (1/4-1/2 t.), and a tablespoon of lemon juice.

Pie Crust:

Makes about 2 large double crusts and one single crust.

5 1/2 cups flour
1 3/4 cups lard or 2 cups vegetable shortening
1 rounded T. brown sugar
1 rounded t. baking powder
1 rounded t. salt
Mix dry ingredients and cut in lard. (I often mix the above ingredients and put everything into the fridge while I do other stuff.)

Blend in blender:

1 egg
1 T. vinegar
enough ice water to make 1 cup liquid

Stir into flour mixture with a fork. (Do not overmix.)

Egg wash:

1 egg
1/4 c. cream

Blend egg and cream. Brush onto the tops of unbaked pies and sprinkle with sugar before baking. This makes a beautiful golden crust.

Bake at 350 for at least 30 minutes. Remove from oven when nicely browned.

I try to dice the apples fairly finely. Otherwise, the apples aren't soft before the crust is brown.

Not everyone adds lemon juice. I think it gives the pie more flavor, but if the apples are very tart, it is probably not necessary.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment



<< Home