Prairie View

Sunday, August 23, 2009

Checking In

I'm breaking the silence long enough to let you know that we're alive and well--just too busy to spend time blogging.

We returned from Colorado on Monday. I rushed right over to school where the before-school work night was in progress. I've spent every day since then at school, and gone away every evening except Tuesday.

School started on Friday. I love being back at school, but it feels pretty topsy turvy to go off to work while Hiromi stays home. He is a man of many skills, and right now he's certainly doing his share to keep the household running smoothly.

I'm putting together a current events study on Health Care Reform legislation. I like doing this kind of thing, but it's required a lot of computer time during the past week. Does anyone know of some extraordinarily good sources, or have some insightful personal viewpoints? I'm keeping the tone non-partisan and courteous, and including both the viewpoints of Christians who support and oppose the legislation. Besides that, we're trying to keep the study manageable by having the students look at the issue through the concerns of various groups or individuals--insurance companies, health care professionals, business owners, taxpayers, people with pre-existing health conditions, the uninsured working middle class, the well-insured, etc. Overall, identifying relevant Scriptural principles will be emphasized.

I hope to tell more later about our Colorado trip. Except for driving in downtown Denver and driving from there to Penrose in the dark, it was a good trip. Shane and Dorcas were wonderful hosts.

I concluded that Hiromi and I are the bumpiest of country bumpkins when it comes to navigating big city traffic, and our marriage and our lives will be prolonged if we limit these experiences to daylight hours and times when we are well-rested and alert.

It's 11:00, and Hiromi and I decided that we'd aim for a 6:00 rising time during this part of the school year, so I'd better get to bed. 6:00 is later than I've been getting up most of the summer, but we're shifting our walking time to after breakfast with Grant rather than before, so I think this will work well as the early morning daylight diminishes.

Oyasuminasai (Good night).

1 Comments:

  • David Goldhill has a very comprehensive article on health care in the Sept. issue of The Atlantic (http://www.theatlantic.com/doc/200909/health-care). It is long (17+ pages) but I found it to offer some good explanations for why health care costs are so high and how we got here as a country.

    By Anonymous Caleb E Yoder, at 8/25/2009  

Post a Comment



<< Home